Custom Viv Thread

Screen doors were installed today! Last step is to paint and seal the foam on the bottom! Then I’ll test the MistKing and fogger and make sure it’s all ready for Leo to come home. Question: I crocheted a jute net but wasn’t sure if it was safe for Leo. I wanted to give him something additional to climb on where the glass is because he’s used to an all screen cage...
Looks killer, nice work!

I'd personally avoid the jute net in case Leo's nails get caught, and it may get moldy/harbor bacteria. You can take dowels (bamboo, oak, etc.) and criss cross them up the side of the enclosure for climbing, though! And you can use the lattice to attach horizontal branches. I suppose you could take a ready made lattice, potentially seal it, and use that as well!

I know someone did it for their clearside, but I cant recall who or where. I recall you mentioning you're visual, so something like this:

View attachment 232056

You can lash the dowels together with small zip ties etc. I like it in a diamond pattern, but you can do it however you'd like!
This is great! I’ll definitely see about doing this instead! Thank you!

Getting down to the end! I have a few more layers of paint to add and then I have to seal the foam with Olympic Multi-Surface Sealant. Is 24 hours enough time to air out?

If you look on the first page I carved recessed drainage channels into the floor of the viv and spread them out to every part of the floor. Every channel is sloped to the center of the viv where I installed a kitchen sink drain. Waterproofed everything with roll on FlexSeal.

Then I built a removable 4 sided bin to fit in the viv, open too and bottom. Then attached several layers of fine SS mesh running in opposite directions. This served as the bottom of the bin and prevents the soil from running out of the viv.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/bioactive-mentor.167174/

If you look on the first page I carved recessed drainage channels into the floor of the viv and spread them out to every part of the floor. Every channel is sloped to the center of the viv where I installed a kitchen sink drain. Waterproofed everything with roll on FlexSeal.

Then I built a removable 4 sided bin to fit in the viv, open too and bottom. Then attached several layers of fine SS mesh running in opposite directions. This served as the bottom of the bin and prevents the soil from running out of the viv.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/bioactive-mentor.167174/
Awesome thanks bro. The kitchen sink was got me wondering how you did it, lol. Great idea

If you don’t want to do all that you can just buy a shower pan with a drain already in it and then trim to fit your viv. It would be expensive but it would be a bit easier.

No, no pics to show drain install. It’s easy just drill the hole where you want it and drop it in. My viv has a 8” false bottom allowing me enough space to plumb everything in. This is what you want:
67E90FAC-0CA0-44B9-86D9-D79B9444F3F0.png
EBA84519-647D-4561-918E-64B0758F1BC6.png
C1F0AE47-EF6D-4EE9-805F-00D9EBC764F9.png

No worries, I can figure out all the plumbing. That drain is another great idea tho. Easy clean out eh?
Well if your running bio the clean out is covered by dirt. I’m not using it for a clean out, using it as a tool to move the water from the viv to the plumbing drains. I’ll probably never see that clean out again until I demo that viv.

All done and ready for Leo! (Just needs to finish airing out.)

Attachments

• 79141384-4320-415D-9545-C99A442775ED.jpeg
    79141384-4320-415D-9545-C99A442775ED.jpeg
    214.7 KB · Views: 161
  • 5A87D43D-9EAE-4F1A-A364-BA6A30D94E32.jpeg
    5A87D43D-9EAE-4F1A-A364-BA6A30D94E32.jpeg
    204.3 KB · Views: 164
  • 84FBBC12-D54A-4455-B873-CEDC11EA4601.jpeg
    84FBBC12-D54A-4455-B873-CEDC11EA4601.jpeg
    207.9 KB · Views: 144
Back
Top Bottom