Custom Stand/Climbing Post

Lathis

Chameleon Enthusiast
Started a new project for Buckminster Bobbins! A nee, custom climbing g stand that is modeled after the awesome DIY parrot stands I've seen.

He's already starting to get chunky (he's just big boned), so in anticipation of when (soon) branches and dowels can no longer be supported by the screen, he needs a freestanding "tree" .

Supplies:

Cheap umbrella stand $10
Closet dowel $13
Birch branches $20
Wild branches FREE!
Sandpaper $2
Threaded inserts (1/4" by 20) $8
Double headed screws (wood/machine) $8
Lots of love

IMG_20160520_205937.jpg

I'll post more tomorrow. I've started cutting the branches and sanding off the loose bark, but beer got in the way of me finishing, lol.

Great idea, looking forward to tomorrow- One question though( apologies if I've missed the post somewhere else but) why Buckminster Bobbins? Superb name but I'm too inquisitive not to ask :)
I'm about to get a male and female parsons- I'm shopping for names now- totally stuck at the mo :confused: no short list or anything! Cheers

Beer can actually help give a "wild", "natural" look if done the correct way. It's a fine line though. Great idea!
Lol! I remember it differently from my drinking days. I can't tell you how many so called 10's I regretted taking home because of that keen perception. I must of not done it correctly, but then again some were quite wild.

Great idea, looking forward to tomorrow- One question though( apologies if I've missed the post somewhere else but) why Buckminster Bobbins? Superb name but I'm too inquisitive not to ask :)
I'm about to get a male and female parsons- I'm shopping for names now- totally stuck at the mo :confused: no short list or anything! Cheers

Ha! It's a somewhat random story.

The hubby picked "Buckminster" for Buckminster Fuller, who was an all-around fascinating guy. "Bobbins" came from the breeder (I suspect beer was involved in that text message conversation on both sides, lol). I love giving people names to pets, and naming my chameleon like a rich old English dude from the 1920s is hilarious to me.

Done! It's not very impressive by itself, but once it's in the cage with vines and the pothos wrapped around it, it will be spectacular!

It was actually a lot easier than I expected. Drilling the closet dowel was very easy and the threaded inserts and double-headed screws went in perfectly.

Attachments

• IMG_20160521_193551.jpg
    IMG_20160521_193551.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_20160521_192254.jpg
    IMG_20160521_192254.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_20160521_182230.jpg
    IMG_20160521_182230.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_20160521_182126.jpg
    IMG_20160521_182126.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 180
So I saw a thread earlier this week. I want to go find it now and yell at the OP for turning me on to this stuff because I have to buy it lol. Due to the bacteria issues, I decided to not do the whole natural looking thing, now this stuff and my Dragon Ledges are going to become walls that mimic trees lol.

So anyway I pass this curse on to you :).

habitatfr.png

They made that with this. https://www.smooth-on.com/product-line/free-form-habitat/

And worst part it isn't even hard, they sell a silicon putty you make a stamp lather the epoxy on and stamp the bark imprint then paint it and done. The stuff is sorta on the pricey side, depending how much you need. Its like 115 a gallon, plus the powder which you also need (dont remember how much that was). But dang if it doesn't look insanely awesome.

So my comment is saying :p get some great stuff and some of this stuff and make that thing a big ole waterproof plastic (actually I think its clay) tree :).

Thanks for letting me know about the name- The mystery is solved at last- great name,
My panther is called Mr Jolly, always makes me smile- it's a nice name for an animal that permanently looks so down in the mouth.

Started a new project for Buckminster Bobbins! A nee, custom climbing g stand that is modeled after the awesome DIY parrot stands I've seen.

He's already starting to get chunky (he's just big boned), so in anticipation of when (soon) branches and dowels can no longer be supported by the screen, he needs a freestanding "tree" .

Supplies:

Cheap umbrella stand $10
Closet dowel $13
Birch branches $20
Wild branches FREE!
Sandpaper $2
Threaded inserts (1/4" by 20) $8
Double headed screws (wood/machine) $8
Lots of love

View attachment 158361

I'll post more tomorrow. I've started cutting the branches and sanding off the loose bark, but beer got in the way of me finishing, lol.
where is the ignore button?

Back
Top Bottom