Custom Enclosure Supplies

CJ's Exotics

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hello! I'm going to be making some enclosures soon for an upcoming project. I would like to know of the proper woods (oak, pressure treated, because I heard that pressure treated and some woods are bad), brands of safe sealant, safe varnish brands, any advice, and if you have pictures or advice for making them, that would be greatly appreciated. If you want to see my blueprints, just ask and I will post them. Thanks!

IMG_0614.JPG IMG_0615.JPG Here is the basic blueprint I have so far. @jannb has a clutch that just hatched, excellent bloodlines.

I used red oak on my DIY mansion and I'd post a link to my build thread but Photo Bucket killed all the picture links.. The oak is pretty but is pretty pricey and the other down side is it's really hard and required a lot of sanding pads (they wore out before the wood did lol) and pre-drilling holes for screws and that sort of thing. I used Rustoleum wood stain and aerosol polyurethane and it has held up really well for 6 years and counting. On a more recent project I used Liquid Flex Seal to waterproof the inside of the planter for a bio active setup. It's animal safe once dry and can be used to waterproof just about anything. The main thing to worry about with the paint/stain/ sealant is fumes so be sure to let everything air out for at least a week or two before moving your cham in.

I used red oak on my DIY mansion and I'd post a link to my build thread but Photo Bucket killed all the picture links.. The oak is pretty but is pretty pricey and the other down side is it's really hard and required a lot of sanding pads (they wore out before the wood did lol) and pre-drilling holes for screws and that sort of thing. I used Rustoleum wood stain and aerosol polyurethane and it has held up really well for 6 years and counting. On a more recent project I used Liquid Flex Seal to waterproof the inside of the planter for a bio active setup. It's animal safe once dry and can be used to waterproof just about anything. The main thing to worry about with the paint/stain/ sealant is fumes so be sure to let everything air out for at least a week or two before moving your cham in.
Thank you so much! I guess I will use red oak for the enclosures, thanks! Did you wood stain all of the wood, and polyurethane all of it? And was the flex seal just for the bottom? Sorry, I don't really know much about all of it, I just like building things lol. I don't know if I could use the flex seal though, that is the stuff on commercials, right? I need to waterproof the whole enclosure, but the black might be too hot (They are very sensitive to heat). Do you like the blueprint?

Thank you so much! I guess I will use red oak for the enclosures, thanks! Did you wood stain all of the wood, and polyurethane all of it? And was the flex seal just for the bottom? Sorry, I don't really know much about all of it, I just like building things lol. I don't know if I could use the flex seal though, that is the stuff on commercials, right? I need to waterproof the whole enclosure, but the black might be too hot (They are very sensitive to heat). Do you like the blueprint?

Correct, I stained all of the wood then got it all screwed together and then did the poly on top of all that. I wouldn't worry about using oak as it's pretty pricey unless you like the way it looks like I did lol. Any of the big box stores should also sell poplar and pine in their "premium wood" area (furniture grade stuff), both of which should be cheaper and will still be kiln dried and safe to use on an enclosure.

The Flex Seal I just used for the bottom part of cage/inside the planter box where the wood will be constantly exposed to water/moist soil and yeah it's the same stuff from the commercials lol. The liquid version says specifically that it's safe for animals once it's dry and I found a bunch of people on different online forums that had used it for koi ponds and custom wood aquariums so I figured I'd give it a try. There are other rubberized coatings out there that you can use too but I liked being able to walk in to my local Lowe's/Home Depot and grab a can instead of waiting for one of the other products to be shipped out.

Here's a couple of pictures of the DIY mansion I mentioned earlier so you can see a before and after of the oak. There's also a pic of my new bio active setup that has the planter box with Flex Seal in case you wanted to see it too.

Attachments

• Big Cage-5.jpg
    Big Cage-5.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 187
  • Big Cage-6.jpg
    Big Cage-6.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 146
  • Bio Active Cage.jpg
    Bio Active Cage.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 169
Correct, I stained all of the wood then got it all screwed together and then did the poly on top of all that. I wouldn't worry about using oak as it's pretty pricey unless you like the way it looks like I did lol. Any of the big box stores should also sell poplar and pine in their "premium wood" area (furniture grade stuff), both of which should be cheaper and will still be kiln dried and safe to use on an enclosure.

The Flex Seal I just used for the bottom part of cage/inside the planter box where the wood will be constantly exposed to water/moist soil and yeah it's the same stuff from the commercials lol. The liquid version says specifically that it's safe for animals once it's dry and I found a bunch of people on different online forums that had used it for koi ponds and custom wood aquariums so I figured I'd give it a try. There are other rubberized coatings out there that you can use too but I liked being able to walk in to my local Lowe's/Home Depot and grab a can instead of waiting for one of the other products to be shipped out.

Here's a couple of pictures of the DIY mansion I mentioned earlier so you can see a before and after of the oak. There's also a pic of my new bio active setup that has the planter box with Flex Seal in case you wanted to see it too.
Looks great! I think that I will look into other brands as well, black might absorb too much heat for Gracilior. Thank you so much!

I'm pretty sure they also have white and clear as an option. What were you planning on doing for the sides and floor? Leaving them blank or doing some sort of background and/or soil for a bio active setup? If you're just wanting to keep things simple and blank you could easily just paint the inside with a white acrylic or marine grade paint. Or you could also pick up some PVC sheets, cut them to size, and attach them to the inside using aquarium grade silicone. If you wanted to have soil and a bio active set up then that's where using the rubberized coatings becomes a better idea. There's tons of ways to go about it, it just depends on what your end goal is and how you want to get there. :)

I'm pretty sure they also have white and clear as an option. What were you planning on doing for the sides and floor? Leaving them blank or doing some sort of background and/or soil for a bio active setup? If you're just wanting to keep things simple and blank you could easily just paint the inside with a white acrylic or marine grade paint. Or you could also pick up some PVC sheets, cut them to size, and attach them to the inside using aquarium grade silicone. If you wanted to have soil and a bio active set up then that's where using the rubberized coatings becomes a better idea. There's tons of ways to go about it, it just depends on what your end goal is and how you want to get there. :)
I think I will just coat the inside with clear flex seal if that is an option (for waterproof properties), and I think the floor will be bare. This species requires a lot of water, so I want to make sure no paint will eventually wear off, or the wood will rot. I will explain this in more detail after thinking about it a bit more. Happy Holidays!!! :):D:)

Are these the products you were talking about @NorCalAnthony? Also, is there a safe woods list for chameleons? And did you mean Red Oak or Red Wood? And I can apply the flex seal and maybe marine grade paint on top of the polyurethane, right?
755c494a-9f61-45ae-b457-ace80b01a34d_1000.jpg
0651890d-9c4c-40d5-af42-608b2665f134_1.580f4755302514f8828701d6c2e98045.jpeg
s-l1000.jpg

If you are going to dump a lot of water in your enclosure consider building in a plastic lined bottom. Keep in mind every nail hole, screw and staple will allow water into your wood.

If you are going to dump a lot of water in your enclosure consider building in a plastic lined bottom. Keep in mind every nail hole, screw and staple will allow water into your wood.
So should I do that or coat everything with Flex seal? This will be for Gracilior's.

I would do some kind of plastic collection area for drainage at least an inch or two deep at the bottom where water might sit. If you do flex seal remember to coat your screen staples after you put the screens in and anything else that goes into the wood.
Do use hard wood as advised above. Pressed wood or plywood won't hold up to the dampness very well.

I used oak for my enclosure with a granite bottom, sealed with polyurethane, and I used window screen for the openings. :)

Attachments

• 20171229_220717.jpg
    20171229_220717.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 122
  • 20171229_220750.jpg
    20171229_220750.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 118
Maple, ash, poplar, oak. Its all good if it is sealed well with a good coating of polyurethane. Just be certain it is cured before exposing your chams. The fumes will kill.

Back
Top Bottom