Custom Conversion

YouGotGio

Hi there, fellow keepers of chameleons! I need help figuring out how to correctly turn this used entertainment center into a Ambanja Chameleon's working Vivarium. In addition to its aesthetic value, I would like to preserve the glass front to aid with humidity control. It's fairly dry where I reside in Nevada. I'm trying to figure out an idea on how to use plants that are local to his area of Madagascar that will bring more appeal to the eye and replicate his natural environment to the best of my ability.

Attachments

• IMG_7124.jpeg
    IMG_7124.jpeg
    136 KB · Views: 10
Hi there, fellow keepers of chameleons! I need help figuring out how to correctly turn this used entertainment center into a Ambanja Chameleon's working Vivarium. In addition to its aesthetic value, I would like to preserve the glass front to aid with humidity control. It's fairly dry where I reside in Nevada. I'm trying to figure out an idea on how to use plants that are local to his area of Madagascar that will bring more appeal to the eye and replicate his natural environment to the best of my ability.
Well, actually, I see four cages there , add some material to the back sides will help width , one of my go to Trixx is to add polystyrene fluted panels to the inside . Silicone edges and spray flexseal over the top. To make it watertight on the inside. Doors are always an issue with Wood but if sealed properly, they can last you a long time make sure to use stainless steel or plastic. Hinges because that’s also an issue. Proper drainage will help maintain the longevity of a wood enclosure . I would also try to provide doors or ventilation low , or something you can open and close to control humidity . It will either help create a chimney effect or adding computer fans
To keep air movement. Foggers are a great way of keeping humidity levels in as well as misting systems. All of this requires proper drainage. Take all of these things into consideration when starting your project make sure to leave room for it .. remember, regular maintenance is is definitely going to come in to play so make things easy to work on . good luck on your adventure. It’s fun to build your own.

Attachments

• IMG_9886.jpeg
    IMG_9886.jpeg
    295.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Unfortunately I don’t know anything on building a custom chameleon enclosure, but I wish you luck! Also your dog is super cute 😍

Unfortunately I don’t know anything on building a custom chameleon enclosure, but I wish you luck! Also your dog is super cute
Unfortunately I don’t know anything on building a custom chameleon enclosure, but I wish you luck! Also your dog is super cute 😍

Well, actually, I see four cages there , add some material to the back sides will help width , one of my go to Trixx is to add polystyrene fluted panels to the inside . Silicone edges and spray flexseal over the top. To make it watertight on the inside. Doors are always an issue with Wood but if sealed properly, they can last you a long time make sure to use stainless steel or plastic. Hinges because that’s also an issue. Proper drainage will help maintain the longevity of a wood enclosure . I would also try to provide doors or ventilation low , or something you can open and close to control humidity . It will either help create a chimney effect or adding computer fans
To keep air movement. Foggers are a great way of keeping humidity levels in as well as misting systems. All of this requires proper drainage. Take all of these things into consideration when starting your project make sure to leave room for it .. remember, regular maintenance is is definitely going to come in to play so make things easy to work on . good luck on your adventure. It’s fun to build your own.
I appreciate you taking the time to comment 🤘🏻 and thanks for the Tips
thats ok just asking anyone who has experience for guidance, and I’ll Let him know you think so.
1710808324982.png

There is a DIY chameleon guys show on YouTube with Bill and James. I bet you can get a lot of good ideas from there. James has a lot of experience with wood enclosures :)

I just finished a bioactive conversion on a thrown out curio for our crestie. Here is some pics for inspiration. We used plexiglass, hdpe sheets, 100% silicone, pond foam, & a substrate mix. Basically we built a tank within it. Your just using the outside as a shell for beauty reasons. There is virtually no exposed wood except at the door itself. The process isn't hard, just takes a fair amount of time between steps to allow the various products used enough time to cure before moving on to the next steps. This conversion utilizes three lights ( lumenize led, uvb, & 50w solarflood ). It also has a fogger and mister setup. The rezzys sit in the bottom, behind the door. The fogger pipe runs up through the bottom and along the inside corner and comes out right between the door knockers. Mister from above. Curio itself still needs some touchup done due to all the handling this weekend to finish but all in all I've been really happy with things. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions. Good luck and happy building!

20240317_152228.jpg
20240317_152127.jpg

Last edited:
I just finished a bioactive conversion on a thrown out curio for our crestie. Here is some pics for inspiration. We used plexiglass, hdpe sheets, 100% silicone, pond foam, & a substrate mix. Basically we built a tank within it. Your just using the outside as a shell for beauty reasons. There is virtually no exposed wood except at the door itself. The process isn't hard, just takes a fair amount of time between steps to allow the various products used enough time to cure before moving on to the next steps. This conversion utilizes three lights ( lumenize led, uvb, & 50w solarflood ). It also has a fogger and mister setup. The rezzys sit in the bottom, behind the door. The fogger pipe runs up through the bottom and along the inside corner and comes out right between the door knockers. Mister from above. Curio itself still needs some touchup done due to all the handling this weekend to finish but all in all I've been really happy with things. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions. Good luck and happy building!

View attachment 353281View attachment 353282
that is so damn beautiful. you did such an amazing job!

Looks awesome 👏

James is the GOAT with the DIY and wood enclosures! Follow his recommendations for success.

I did went out of a curio also 😊

1710890019348.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0934.jpeg
    IMG_0934.jpeg
    280.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0935.jpeg
    IMG_0935.jpeg
    277.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0936.jpeg
    IMG_0936.jpeg
    204.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0937.jpeg
    IMG_0937.jpeg
    185.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0938.jpeg
    IMG_0938.jpeg
    265.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0939.jpeg
    IMG_0939.jpeg
    289.4 KB · Views: 8

Wow that’s beautiful!!

Back
Top Bottom