Custom build; its finally happening!

Ok so we didnt get very far on the enclosure today. The guys decided they wanted to get fancy with it so they busted out some fancy power tools and made some tongue and groove cuts so the boards fit together easier. Tomorrow will be complete assembly and sealing.

I will be using FlexSeal, how long does it require to completely dry? Should I do 2 coats to be safe?

Today's been much more productive than yesterday. We have the most basic frame done. We are working on adding some more supports, then the door! Once those are done I'll flexseal the while thing, then the screen goes on.

The whole back panel is going to be a custom wall made with foam. I flex sealed the panel I am using for that today, as I'm not going to be foaming the ENTIRE back panel. That would take like 20 cans of foam :ROFLMAO: later this week I will start foaming in pots and branches.

Attachments

• 20190811_161428.jpg
    20190811_161428.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 116
  • 20190811_161353.jpg
    20190811_161353.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 114
So by the end of the evening we have most of the frame done. We still need to build the door, but we are playing with the idea of making the door plexi glass. If anyone has experience with this, please speak up! How prone to scratching are they??

On tuesday I'm going to be working on foaming my back wall, I'm pretty excited with how that will turn out!

Also included is a picture of Pesto sleeping when I got home. He is so big! I cant wait to give him his new home in a few weeks.
20190811_195441.jpg

Attachments

• 20190811_184439.jpg
    20190811_184439.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 98
  • 20190811_184429.jpg
    20190811_184429.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 95
@snitz427 so I'm looking in to new plant spotlights for the enclosure. I know you recommended the SANSI ones on Amazon, which I am probably going to end up buying. What sort of fixture do you use for them? Just a dome?

@snitz427 so I'm looking in to new plant spotlights for the enclosure. I know you recommended the SANSI ones on Amazon, which I am probably going to end up buying. What sort of fixture do you use for them? Just a dome?
I bought a cage fixture for the lights - to protect from overheating - although I dont think they get overly hot.

if you set up hooks or something above the enclosure to "hang" the lights, you don't need a fixture at all - just the cord/receptacle.
Yeah, I think I may get a few bulbs and do that. I have a lot of ground to cover with the new enclosure lol

Does anyone have experience with acrylic plexi glass? How easily does it scratch? We are toying with the idea of making the front doors plexi for visibility and humidity retention. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Acrylic definitely scratches easily - be careful with anything you use to clean it. It's easy to use/replace if you do get it scratched up.

Acrylic definitely scratches easily - be careful with anything you use to clean it. It's easy to use/replace if you do get it scratched up.
Yeah I'm thinking it may be worth it to just make it so I can easily replace it when it gets scratched up... it's only $45 for both doors worth of acrylic.
Is there something else you would recommend that might not be as scratch prone? Other than glass lol

Lol wait a quick search on home depot's website is showing glass is cheaper... maybe I'll just go with glass. I know its heavier, but it is only going to be 2 doors so it shouldn't be that bad?

Back
Top Bottom