Great guess! That is actually what I am planning as my second idea, I really want to work with an unestablished species, like the small Calumma species. I want to work with a species like Calumma boettgeri, or one of those chameleons. I am actually looking for any LTC's, or already treated and acclimated WC's of those species, assuming that CB's are not available, so I guess you got it right, in a sense.Furcifer lateralis FTW!....Did I guess?
The only way I could do boettgeri at this point, is if I can find some LTC's, or CB's. If you find any, please let me know!Yeah @CJ's Exotics, if you could get a breeding program for C. boettgeri going, that'd be much appreciated from the rest of us
My local specialty shop had a WC pair of them for a little while and the bulbous blue nose is just so endearing. I wish more of the tiny species were established! I don't have room for any more big ones!
Now that I think of it, I think I worded it wrong, as if I was making a pond in the middle of the enclosure. Picture a dart frog paludarium, but on a smaller scale, and the water going to the bottom of the enclosure in the front right corner of the vivarium.But why a pond? That's just a pain to deal with and serves no beneifiet to any cham.
Are begonia's safe for chameleons?
Calcium Oxalate Crystals, Cucurbitacin B
This doesn't sound good...
"These plants contain special cells called idioblasts. Found in a number of plant species both poisonous and non-poisonous, idioblasts differ from neighboring cells in that they contain non-living substances like oil, latex, gum, resin, tannin, pigments or minerals. One of these substances is raphides or bundles of needlelike crystals of calcium oxalate that tend to be blunt at one end and sharp at the other. The crystals are packed in a gelatinous substance that contains free oxalic acid.
When animals chew on the plant the tip of the idioblast is broken allowing saliva from the animal or sap from the plant to enter the cell. This in turn causes the gelatinous material to swell forcing the raphides (needle like calcium oxalate crystals) to violently shoot out from the cells into the surrounding area. The calcium oxalate crystals then penetrate and embed themselves into the tissues of the mouth, tongue, throat and stomach causing (in most cases) immediate discomfort and aggravation as would be expected when millions of microscopic needles are lodged in ones throat and mouth. The idioblasts may continue to expel raphides for a considerable amount of time after ingestion allowing the crystals to also embed themselves into lining of the stomach and intestine causing additional gastrointestinal upset."
"The second toxic compound “cucurbitacin B” is a biochemical compound produced by the plant in order to defend itself from being eaten. Cucurbitacins are generally cytotoxic (promote cell death) and can be extremely poisonous to some animal species. Additionally, cucurbitacins are also known for providing plants with an extremely bitter and displeasing taste."
Not a reptile source, but a good explanation. Not sure how "toxic" they truly are though because many common plants used in the hobby contain Oxalates.