Currently he's in the Repti-Breeze starter cage...

eahoormann

My little guy is about 3 months old and he fits perfectly in his little enclosure. (i'm sorry, I'm at work and do not have pictures handy... I will post some when I get home! :love:) I'm trying to be proactive and do some research for when he gets bigger. I'm looking at something along these lines http://dragonstrand.com/product/large-keeper-screen-chameleon-cage-kit/ (Anyone have any experience with this company? or these products?)

I LOVE the idea of getting him a much larger cage (one that my 5'10" self could stand in even) to create the idea of a free range without the fur-baby being able to get him. BUT space is semi-limited in our 2 bedroom duplex. And we are looking to move in a few years, like a big move to NC from MO but we will tackle that hurdle when we get to it! ;).

Just wondering if one is better than the other for adult veiled? And when will we know when to get him a larger enclosure? Will I need to do a 'mid-range' sized cage before he's ready for the one like in the link above? Is there such a thing as an enclosure TOO large?

ALSO! (Sorry.... this feels like a run-on sentence..:ROFLMAO:) What are thoughts on screen VS. semi-screened VS fully enclosed terrariums? TIA! Any and all links/advice/criticisms are WELCOME!! Please feel free to start a post with "Hey Dumby....." I'm trying to avoid the "HE'S SICK!! HELP!" post and getting the reply of "... typical... another person who didn't do research to make sure they didn't eff anything up... When people aren't prepared.. their first chameleon (Typically a veiled) becomes a trial and error experiment" Y'all, I've been snooping around the forum enough... I know the response! So I'm trying to prevent that! Thanks!! :)

Last edited:
Wow, that was a lot of words. Love your enthusiasm.:)
The recommended smallest size cage for an adult veiled is 24"x24"x48". The only way that a cage is too big is if the UVB, basking, food and water(misting) become a struggle for him to reach or find. Some people have inserted a raised floor in larger cages to consolidate the space for smaller guys until they grow rather than buy larger each time. Dragon Strand is a great brand with many forum members that will recommend them.
Welcome to the forum! Hope that helps.
Here is the care sheet incase I missed something. https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/

Wow, that was a lot of words. Love your enthusiasm.:)
The recommended smallest size cage for an adult veiled is 24"x24"x48". The only way that a cage is too big is if the UVB, basking, food and water(misting) become a struggle for him to reach or find. Some people have inserted a raised floor in larger cages to consolidate the space for smaller guys until they grow rather than buy larger each time. Dragon Strand is a great brand with many forum members that will recommend them.
Welcome to the forum! Hope that helps.
Here is the care sheet incase I missed something. https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/

Ooo!! I like the idea of a raised floor!! Thank you! :)

Yea thats the cage i own, its great. The dragon ledges are super handy in creating a network of supports for live plants and branches. It was fairly easy to put together. I have a mist king mister that goes in at the top. What you need to consider is how you want to handle drainage. I simply drilled some holes through the white flooring and have the cage sitting on a plastic shelves that are grided instead of solid letting the water drip through to a plastic bin on the bottom. Some people put something weighted but easy to move near the drain holes to help get water flowing that way.

Yea thats the cage i own, its great. The dragon ledges are super handy in creating a network of supports for live plants and branches. It was fairly easy to put together. I have a mist king mister that goes in at the top. What you need to consider is how you want to handle drainage. I simply drilled some holes through the white flooring and have the cage sitting on a plastic shelves that are grided instead of solid letting the water drip through to a plastic bin on the bottom. Some people put something weighted but easy to move near the drain holes to help get water flowing that way.

Currently, we just took the bottom out all together and set the cage on top of a framed screen we found at Home Depot and then bought a wire shelf unit to set it on. We put a container on the shelf under the cage and water gathers there. it works PERFECT. Again, I'll post pics when I get home :)

I really like the idea of those dragon ledges, those seem SUPER handy. Defo a plus when considering that kit.

So here's his most recent set up.. as of 15 minutes ago! :LOL:

I just put up the plastic on two sides in an effort to keep the spray in the cage and to up humidity a bit and protect him from the vent that is parallel to the cage but on that side. And the hibiscus is new. There's also a small Pothos in the back. Twas in the front but it was easier to move it back there and the hibiscus up front.
Thoughts and criticisms..... GO!! :)

18721146_4554947833773_1129433026_o.jpg
18744951_4554947793772_185066131_o.jpg
18765235_4554947753771_624140255_o.jpg
18767148_4554947713770_562271014_o.jpg

I have dragonstrand large atrium clearsided. It's probably the best enclosure you can buy. If you can, put him in it now. Smaller chams don't need smaller cages imo. It's more of a convenience thing for the owner. They'll find their food, they see ALL.

Okey doke! Thank you!! I will look into them and save up for a bit. :)

I have the same thing @jamest0o0 has. The owner is awesome and if you have any questions he helps right away and seems just as excited as you are. its worth saving up !

I just feel bad because we've only had his current enclosure since we've had him which will be three weeks tomorrow. So he's just now getting settled and I'd hate to uproot him again.

But I'll talk with The Boyfriend and see what he thinks about it. Like I said, Leif is in a very specific spot in the second bedroom/ home office.

Thank you all! :) I'm excited to (Hopefully) see Leif and this Hibiscus grow together. ;)

You can use the smaller cage, my younger panther is in an 18x18x36 cage atm(moving to a free range soon). But if you wanted to put him in his forever cage anytime you can. Goodluck!

Back
Top Bottom