Curious about weight?

Hannah04

I was curious as to how much Sully weighs, so I went out and bought a scale. My question is, what is "normal" weight? I know they all grow at different rates and all that but he has a guessed age of 4-5 months and he weighs 18grams.

Is this normal?

My sambava panther chameleon Bucky weighed 28g when he arrived last week(4.5 months old), this week he weighed 46g, and that was a day before his first shed with me.

What kind of chameleon do you have and what kind of scale are you using?

My sambava panther chameleon Bucky weighed 28g when he arrived last week(4.5 months old), this week he weighed 46g, and that was a day before his first shed with me.

What kind of chameleon do you have and what kind of scale are you using?

I believe he is an ambilobe panther chameleon. And just a regular Small food scale

I am not an expert, but since no one else is replying I'll add a bit more. There could be a couple factors at play here.... You could be over-estimating the age. Your little guy could just be 3-4 months old and will start growing quite a bit real soon with proper feeding. Alternatively he could just be a runt of the litter, that's not to say he will always be tiny, but may just be a late bloomer. Chams vary in growth rate for a variety of reasons, and unless you know exact hatch date, average size of parents/grandparents/etc., then there is not really much anyone can do but speculate and give you information that may not accurately address your direct question/situation.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will step in and address your question to a better standard than I have.

I am not an expert, but since no one else is replying I'll add a bit more. There could be a couple factors at play here.... You could be over-estimating the age. Your little guy could just be 3-4 months old and will start growing quite a bit real soon with proper feeding. Alternatively he could just be a runt of the litter, that's not to say he will always be tiny, but may just be a late bloomer. Chams vary in growth rate for a variety of reasons, and unless you know exact hatch date, average size of parents/grandparents/etc., then there is not really much anyone can do but speculate and give you information that may not accurately address your direct question/situation.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will step in and address your question to a better standard than I have.

Thanks for all your help, I've asked a few questions on here about age compared to size/length and then age compared to weight, but not much feedback! Thanks again though! :)

**bump!**

Anyone else have anymore info on weight vs nose to vent length? Trying to figure out how old my guy is.. Not having much luck !

I'm going to attach a blog that shows you two different panther males growing at vastly different rates, although they were raised the exact same way: Two Panthers Growing Up - Photo Progression

Growth is something that I see freaks out new keepers the most, and in most cases there's nothing to worry about. It's always a good idea to get a chameleon checked for parasites regularly, and particularly if you're concerned that they aren't growing/gaining weight just in case. But usually it's just that not all animals grow at the same pace.

As an added example, the blue chameleon in the blog, Daedalus, was 20g when I got him at 2.5 months old. Where as I got a different Ambilobe male who was 6 months old and weighed 26g.

I'm going to attach a blog that shows you two different panther males growing at vastly different rates, although they were raised the exact same way: Two Panthers Growing Up - Photo Progression

Growth is something that I see freaks out new keepers the most, and in most cases there's nothing to worry about. It's always a good idea to get a chameleon checked for parasites regularly, and particularly if you're concerned that they aren't growing/gaining weight just in case. But usually it's just that not all animals grow at the same pace.

As an added example, the blue chameleon in the blog, Daedalus, was 20g when I got him at 2.5 months old. Where as I got a different Ambilobe male who was 6 months old and weighed 26g.

Thanks olimpia! For sure going to read that blog! :) I'm not too worried about him being unhealthy! He's doing very well, eatting and drinking regularly, poops are just how everyone says they should be, and he is definitely growing, no doubt about it! He has shed once in my time of owning him! I have had him less than a month. I'm more so trying to get a rough estimate on his age, and thought maybe knowing his weight and length might help me figure it out! However I could be completely wrong in thinking this! Haha

Thanks for the reply! :)

Back
Top Bottom