Curiosity - UVB

Mushy

So I have a Veiled Chameleon that is about 2 1/2 Months old and he has been climbing up his enclosure lately onto the top mesh directly below his UVB bulb, I use a Reptisun T5 HO 24" w/ a 5.0 UVB bulb for his enclosure, and he'll just hang there upside down for x amount of time, usually less than 10 minutes but, should I consider changing his 5.0UVB to the 10.0UVB? Or would that be too much for him y'think?

Babies are known to screen climb. I would recommend raising your lights above the screen to prevent the baby from getting burned. He’s not trying to get more UVB, he’s just exploring. How many inches is your highest branch from the top of the cage?

The highest branch goes about 5 1/2 inches down from the top, there is also pothos vine that is only 4 inches down from the top too that he frequents, the uvb strip is propped up by about an inch and a half & the basking domes are propped up about 2 inches just so it doesn't burn him or the mesh of course

The highest branch goes about 5 1/2 inches down from the top, there is also pothos vine that is only 4 inches down from the top too that he frequents, the uvb strip is propped up by about an inch and a half & the basking domes are propped up about 2 inches just so it doesn't burn him or the mesh of course
Your going to want to raise both the t5 and the heat fixture up off the cage 4 inches. This will make the UVI level at the screen where he is climbing a safe UVI and pulling the heat up makes thermal burn risk lower. Leave the branch at 5 inches down below the screen. This still makes the UVI level at the branch the correct 3 UVI level.

You would stay with a 5.0 or 6% bulb and the total distance to basking branch would always be 9 inches. Once baby stops screen climbing the top you can drop the basking branch down 9 inches below the top screen and then set the fixture directly on the cage. THis still provides a 3 uvi.
This is for your specific T5 single bulb fixture and the 5.0 or 6% bulb. If you change to a dual fixture or anything else UVI levels will change.

So I have a Veiled Chameleon that is about 2 1/2 Months old and he has been climbing up his enclosure lately onto the top mesh directly below his UVB bulb, I use a Reptisun T5 HO 24" w/ a 5.0 UVB bulb for his enclosure, and he'll just hang there upside down for x amount of time, usually less than 10 minutes but, should I consider changing his 5.0UVB to the 10.0UVB? Or would that be too much for him y'think?
The bulbs are fine. Babes & Juvies do that. If you can keep your hand on the screen below the lights indefinitely, they're fine and don't need to be raised. If it's too hot to keep your hand on the screen indefinitely, raise them until you can keep your hand there, then raise basking perch accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom