Cup or wild feeding? Thought please

Curtis James

Established Member
So I have a new blue veiled chameleon I am wondering every ones thoughts on wether to cup feed or let crickets loose in cage. Thoughts please.

It depends on where you got him because most big breeders are not going to take the time to train them to cup feed so you may need to free range his feeders at first. I always cup feed or hand feed all mine because I'm afraid they with get their tongue wrapped around a branch and damage it when free range feeding.

So I have a new blue veiled chameleon I am wondering every ones thoughts on wether to cup feed or let crickets loose in cage. Thoughts please.

both. It depends.

If I am feeding roaches, I will surely cup feed as those suckers will simply hide if not eaten immediately (and I dont want any possibility of them loose in my house).

Bowl feeding things like crickets means you know if everything has been eaten or not, so that you dont have to search the cage every evening to remove uneaten feeders (crickets left in the cage overnight have been known to chew on sleeping chameleons that cant defend themselves when cold/asleep).

Bowl feeding allows you to track how much is eaten.

Its very handy to have a chameleon used to feeding from a bowl. It allows intro of new foods easily - the location is already associated with prey. It allows pet sitters to limit their interaction with icky bugs. It allows you to put prey into the cage prior to lights on, if necessary, and it will be ready and waiting for when the chameleon wakes up.

If you bowl feed, you can leave a little gutload in the bowl so that feeders/prey remains as nutritious as possible right up to the moment of being eaten.

Use a large enough bowl and the prey still moves around a lot allowing for natural hunting. can Use more than one bowl / multiple locations in the cage as well.

Loose/free range feeding allows the most natural hunting. I do this when I am sure the bug will be eaten quickly and I'm there to watch to ensure it is. Or when feeding something like a silkworm or indian walking stick which will cling nicely to a high point (so that the chameleon sometimes gets to shoot upwards) and which poses no risk if not eaten (can be left in overnight, though this reduces nutritional value).

Personally I will bring a cup up to my veild and see if he is hungry. Usually he will eat out of it which I see as a good thing so I know he is eating but if he chooses to turn away from the bowl ill just drop the crickets in and let him free range. When it comes to other bugs its always by hand or cup. Mealworms hand feeding always but he is so used to my hand now. I spoil him. Haha

I have one that's a good hunter and one that would prefer cup feeding or have the feeder walk close to him. What I like about letting feeders like crickets loose in the cage is it keeps my 8 month old panther active and it's fairly easy on me after I've dusted them. The thing I don't like about cup feeding particularly with crickets is the can jump out of the cup unless you get a cup or holder that can contain them. Try both and go with what works for you and gets the Cham what it needs.

I've never had to "train" a chameleon to cup feed. They've all just eaten from the cup.

I just put crickets in a bowl at the bottom of the cage and he goes down and eats whenever he is hungry!

I've never had to "train" a chameleon to cup feed. They've all just eaten from the cup.

I just put crickets in a bowl at the bottom of the cage and he goes down and eats whenever he is hungry!

When they are babies they are often afraid of the cup if they have never been cup fed before.

Here are a few of my feeder bowls and cups

feedercups023.jpg

feedercups024.jpg

feedercups027.jpg

feedercups019.jpg

feedercups020.jpg

Last edited:
That is a great help! Thank you so much! I was only able to get white deli cups so hopefully that works just as well!!

Actually, it's better not to use clear. Some chams will see the feeders from the outside and shoot at the outside of the cup. They could hurt their tongue. My news ones that I've made are blue now.

I personally prefer to tub feed rather than using an actual cup. I use opaque plastic tubs that are about shoe-box sized (or bigger if space allows for it) so that it is big enough for the chameleon to hunt down the food. Babies/young animals that are reluctant to cup/bowl feed are also more likely to take to eating from a large tub since they can chase the bugs around more. I also drill small holes in the bottom to let any excess water drain. I had a cover on a light break where the screws go in, and decided to use it as a tub for feeding and I love it. It has a rim at the top that goes inward so that crickets have a harder time escaping even though it is only 2 inches tall, but about 14 inches in diameter. I ended up buying more for my free ranges. I use them on shelves in/near my free ranges and it works wonderfully, and my chameleons love them. (It looks like these: http://newimg.globalmarket.com/PicLib/361/37361/prod/48_1364175160720_l.jpg http://www.lulusoso.com/upload/20120303/14W_plastic_ceiling_light_covers.jpg) They sit on a nearby branch and either move their head in a circle trying to catch a bug running around, or the actual chameleon will run around the edges and chase the bugs down. The bugs also have less of a tendency to just sit in a corner since there aren't any.

I put all cup/tub feeders near and slightly below basking perch, but not so close that the chameleon can lean its butt over and poop in it (you wouldn't believe how many of mine will do that if I have it too close/directly under a basking perch. It's good for easy poop cleaning, but not so good when the feeders are in there and start nibbling the poop instead of the gutload!) Also make sure it isn't directly under the heat source so that the bugs dont dehydrate/fry from the heat!

I'm a little lost in the tub your talking about I think I grab the concept of it just not picturing it. Could you maybe send a picture?

mmm I was thinking... how I kept the crickets in the cup? they jump so.... if they jump they cant escape? I'm so concerned about cup feeding because i dont want my 3 inches baby veiled be chew by a "evil cricket" :D

Well from what I was told if the cup is tall enough the shouldn't jump out. The Tim I use is roughly 6-7 in tall and my crickets can't get out.. Least I hope not........

I'm a little lost in the tub your talking about I think I grab the concept of it just not picturing it. Could you maybe send a picture?

I don't have any pictures of it, but I added links that have photos of a similar thing. This one (http://www.lulusoso.com/upload/20120303/14W_plastic_ceiling_light_covers.jpg) is a shot from straight above it, with the darker part being the inside, and the lighter ring around the edge being the rim that keeps the crickets and other bugs from crawling/jumping out. This one (http://newimg.globalmarket.com/PicLib/361/37361/prod/48_1364175160720_l.jpg) is a photo where it is turned upside down so that the rim part and the opening is on the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom