Cup feeding??

This topic has been discussed, but it’s usually in the case where the chameleon is a little shy, or is scared to eat out of the cup. In my case, my chameleon loves hand feeding and tong feeding, he’s really comfortable around me and likes being held, but he will NOT eat out of a cup if I just leave it in his cage, this concerns me because if I need to go out of town for a day or two, will he eat out of a cup while I’m away? I hand feed him everyday.
5CD915DF-C809-4295-8346-D4A08963D6BC.jpeg

This topic has been discussed, but it’s usually in the case where the chameleon is a little shy, or is scared to eat out of the cup. In my case, my chameleon loves hand feeding and tong feeding, he’s really comfortable around me and likes being held, but he will NOT eat out of a cup if I just leave it in his cage, this concerns me because if I need to go out of town for a day or two, will he eat out of a cup while I’m away? I hand feed him everyday.View attachment 305559
You have a few options. What I would try first is getting a different color cup. My veiled wouldn't eat out of a see through green cup. But when I used a white cup he started eating. He will also eat out of a milk carton cut down to the size of a cup. If that don't work I hear of a lot of people on hear who have success with making a feeder cup with screen inside it so the bugs can crawl up it.

I use a white bird seed cup like hangs on the door of a bird cage. I bought a big one that’s deep and I just put the feeder insects in after dusting them and hang it on a branch in Eustises enclosure. He just goes to it and picks off all the bugs one at a time.

Make sure the bugs are moving around in the cup. I also think chams can become conditioned to be a little accustomed to hand feeding and won’t eat another way as a result. So I would stop hand feeding for awhile so that cup feeding is their only option. Also worth noting that your cham looks old enough to no longer be eating daily. Chameleon obesity is a very real concern so I would start to feed them every 2-3 days.

Back
Top Bottom