Cultivating mossy branches?!

lzoronz

Hi! I was giving a friend a hand with some work at a local arboretum today and he showed me some interesting techniques they use when they want to keep an interesting fallen tree (for aesthetic value).

They get hold of a few clumps of moss and break them down with yogurt and earth in a big barrel then pack all the concoction around the roots and branches and the moss regrows because of something to do with the yogurt really fast to create a tree stump that looks like its been lying around for ever.

I was wondering whether a few twisted branches covered in moss might make an interesting walkway that might help keep moisture levels in the cage up, perhaps for a Panther who is less lightly to eat it than a veiled.

I haven't tried it, it might fall off making it a bit dangerous for them or it might retain water and be bad for their feet but it looked awesome out in the woods. Anyway, just a thought I was pondering, and an interesting technique if nothing more!

It would definatly look cool. I doubt it would be negative to chams in any way. Do you have any specifics on the "recipe" like what kind of soil, moss yogurt?? I would be willing to try it out!

I asked about types of moss, they said- 'If you wanna grow it on wood, collect it from wood, if you wanna grow it on tiles or rocks collect it from tiles or rocks!' I liked the attitude and logic.

Apparently you blend up the moss lightly in a blender with yoghurt or butter milk thin it out with water then mix it with soil or paint it straight on to the surface. I don't know the quantities but they said that i would be surprised how much it would do!

i would like 2 see pics of the setup if u can get some . . n how it looks after might try it out. . see that goes in the near future. . thanx for the tip. .

Back
Top Bottom