crushed english walnut shells safe?

dohl

I was looking to get sand for an egg laying dish but all the pet store had was crushed english walnut shells it is very similar to sand and says on the bag " great for sand substitute" however i would rather be safe than sorry

also i had used this to cover the soil in my plants does anyone else do this or is larger rocks the only way to go?

you can just go to walmart and get play sand, then wash it. no need to hit a pet store.
also, use rocks to cover your dirt, chams will sometimes eat substrate, dirt, sand, etc. and they cant eat large rocks.

yea ill get sand but for right now im using the ground walnut shells i just need to know if its poisonous or not

I can tell you, walnut shells are very toxic to horses, it is something we make sure we do not use. (I believe there are 2 types of shells, but we choose to use neither)
Now whether it is toxic to a cham, I cant say. But in my logic, if it is to a 1000 plus animal, I wouldnt take the chance on a couple of ounces herp.
please know this is jmo

Walnut shell is not safe. I has very sharp edges and can sccratch a reptiles internal organs if acidentally indigested.

I am aware of chameleon keepers that do use ground walnut shell as a substrate. However I do not think it is a suitable LAYING BIN material.

thank you all very helpful ill do away with it.

i think its dumb zilla would sell a product that could be harmful

Walnut shell is not safe. I has very sharp edges and can sccratch a reptiles internal organs if acidentally indigested.

Actually it's rather fine.
You'll win the lottery before you have an issue with ingestion of this substrate(In small quantities).
I've been using it for beardies for a long while now, they've always occasionally licked up a few pieces, no issues to date.
If you're worried about things scratching the internals of your reptiles, you should be very cautious to remove the legs from all the crickets you feed. Also be sure to get the pinchers out from superworms, etc etc.

Back
Top Bottom