Crossbreeding Veild w/ Panther?

maG

I saw a thread similar to this but i was just wondering if it is possible to crossbreed a Panther chameleon with a Veiled Chameleon? I remember seeing a site explaining how its possible.

species crossbreeding is difficult. genus crossbreeding is highly improbable...

recently i posed a similar question about crossbreeding different species within the same genus for chameleons. as i found out, like with other animals, it happens in nature. but whether often or not, is a difficult question, as many of the offspring do not survive, even to term, and if they do, are often sterile.

from a purely biological point of view, panther chameleons belong to the furcifer genus, while veileds belong to the chamaeleo genus. mating and getting offspring from them would be similar to trying to mate a housecat with a lion (assuming the housecat doesn't get eaten first).

1), it doesn't happen in nature even though they are from the same feline family, and even if it did, 2) the merging of the two similar but different enough genomes (housecat: felis; lion: panthera) would result in such genomic instability, that chances of viable embryos and offspring would be close to zero—a result of evolutionary branching that just is...

and the organisms that can and have successfully mated and produced viable and stable offspring have generated the species diversity in nature that we see today...(and anti-evolutionists can just kiss my evolved scientific hindquarters...)

Last edited:
ucsdmolpath said:
recently i posed a similar question about crossbreeding different species within the same genus for chameleons. as i found out, like with other animals, it happens in nature. but whether often or not, is a difficult question, as many of the offspring do not survive, even to term, and if they do, are often sterile.

from a purely biological point of view, panther chameleons belong to the furcifer genus, while veileds belong to the chamaeleo genus. mating and getting offspring from them would be similar to trying to mate a housecat with a lion (assuming the housecat doesn't get eaten first).

1), it doesn't happen in nature even though they are from the same feline family, and even if it did, 2) the merging of the two similar but different enough genomes (housecat: felis; lion: panthera) would result in such genomic instability, that chances of viable embryos and offspring would be close to zero—a result of evolutionary branching that just is...

and the organisms that can and have successfully mated and produced viable and stable offspring have generated the species diversity in nature that we see today...(and anti-evolutionists can just kiss my evolved scientific hindquarters...)

In english please?

haha.

maybe someone force bred chameleons and came up with that "albino" chameleon that was posted in threads how long ago

Back
Top Bottom