Crix Raising

Bio123

I finally had baby crickets hatch. They are now about twice the size of an egg. Does anyone have any tips on how to raise them and how to produce a continuous cricket food source? I don't want to keep paying for my crix. Also, does anyone know why crickets tend to die out in massive numbers, even if the box is clean and all dead crickets are taken out?

I finally had baby crickets hatch. They are now about twice the size of an egg. Does anyone have any tips on how to raise them and how to produce a continuous cricket food source? I don't want to keep paying for my crix. Also, does anyone know why crickets tend to die out in massive numbers, even if the box is clean and all dead crickets are taken out?

Heat is your friend. Make sure you have a heat pad under the bin for the young crickets. You will see a better survival rate.

As a trial I recommend buying 1000 pin head crickets and raise them to 6 week old. I bet you end up with no more than 10 crickets. :)

You will save money on your crickets up until about two weeks old , after that it is cheaper to buy them than to raise them. How many Chams do you have?

I have 1 cham. I really wanted to get them up to full size and have them breed, making a cycle just like mealworms do.

theyre probably dying from too much moisture in the tank. they need alot of ventilation, ive had a whole clutch of eggs die from mold that grew in the dirt they were laid in because of it.
you could feed them finely grated carrots or a pureed medley of dark greens (collards, dandelion greens, etc). i usually put the food and water crystals on a piece of cut plastic cup so that it stays off the substrate if there is any but make sure they are able to crawl on it to reach the food!

Well, here it's 5 bucks per 40 crix. So, I now have about 1000+ eggs. My first generation of crix are in their third instar. So if I got 1000 a week from breeding, that sounds like a pretty good deal to me.:D I have my crix in a giant plastic tote with the top cut off and replaced with aluminum mesh. I just notice that 10 out of the 40 I buy die. I might need to invest in a heat pad. Out here in Texas, winter is summer and summer is August, so I didn't think I needed a pad.

Crix raising is only cheaper if you have full sized chams and small chams. The adult crx that I feed to my veiled lay eggs and when they hatch I feed them to my juvenile panthers. I have found some batches of eggs to take way longer to hatch than usual for other people, even if the heat is correct. I had one batch of eggs that hatched after a month and a half at 85 F. So, even if you think your cricket eggs aren't going to hatch, keep them.

personaly, I just order online...
for less then $20.00 I get 500 crickets with 2 day delivery from Ghann's.
that's 4 cents per cricket.
alot cheaper then what most petstores charge.
40 crickets by me is also $4.50-$5.00, so ordering online just makes sence to me.

also, I think you are doing a fine job with breeding.
don't listen to others...it's not that hard.
personaly, I just don't have the time for it or I would be doing it myself.
if you need any extra ideas or help , you can look at this link...
http://skylab.org/~chugga/cricket/

Harry

Back
Top Bottom