Critique my cage please

BunnyGirl

Hello,
I just wanted some advise on my cage before I finalize the design. I am getting a adult male panther. The plant on the bottom is a schefflera, and the tree is a ficus benjamina. I will add some reptivines before he goes in there I just wanted you guys to look at it.

Attachments

• 25tj4ux.jpg
    25tj4ux.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 265
scheffs like a lot more light than that one is going to get under that tree. A fern would be much better suited for life in the lower region.

Looks good, well besides the vine thing, but you're on top of that.

Yup I've got UVB and a heat source on top of the cage. I am getting the vines soon. As far as light for the plants I actually have a plant light on the side of the cage so that both the ficus and the schefflera get alot of light. my room is not warm by any means so the light plant light actuallt helps keep the amibient tempature at the appropriate range to. Thanks for looking eveyone!

where is the basking spot going to be since the ficus seems to reach all the way to the very top of the cage and i only see the one fixture? if your cham has to climb to the tippy top to get to that light to bask it may put him to close to the lightbulb and may cause burns if its to close....i have been out of the cham world for awhile now but starting to get back in and i always tried to keep my basking light a few inches away from the cage to keep that from happening....

beautiful plants!

you need that ficus to be shorter. its way to tall, it shouldnt really touch the top if its that spread out.. do you know what i mean?

always have a good perch for your cham for basking. :)

have a vine that hits every spot of the cage. well... almost every spot! ur cham needs that to change its body temp.

There is an open area at the back of the cage for the basking spot. He cannot get to close to the light. There are two light fixtures but the UVB fixture is short so you can't see it in the picture. I know the ficus is to tall, I am going to trim it when it drops it's leaves. It's hard to see the whole thing when it's full.

Hi bunnygirl,

ok, your on top of trimming the tree, and you got lights and will fill in son vines.
good.

but don't add any lights on the side of the cage like you said.
it's gona be like you looking at a car with the headlights on all day long....
it will make your guy uncompfortable.
drop the plant light.

just do some extra trimming of the ficus in some spots to let the umbrella plant get more light and you'll be fine.

Harry

Most people will tell you the idea of putting a light on the side of the cage isn't a good one. It can cause confusion to that cham as this simply isn't a natural way (the sun) for them to know light. Give it a try but I think you may end up changing it.

I mentioned the ferns because they are a great lower level plant, not needing much light and they are really good at retaining moisture helping your humidity. Also they are cheap. You can get really nice and full Boston Ferns for about 10 bucks each, and currently my HD is having a sale on them. I picked up 2 massive Bostons for 5.99 each.

Hello,
I was already thinking of changing the light on the side. The ficus was 5 1/2 feet tall when I got it and my cage is only 5 feet tall so I already chopped off alot if it. Will it be okay if I do anymore. I don't wanna kill it It was an expensive plant.

Hello,
I was already thinking of changing the light on the side. The ficus was 5 1/2 feet tall when I got it and my cage is only 5 feet tall so I already chopped off alot if it. Will it be okay if I do anymore. I don't wanna kill it It was an expensive plant.

If you're worried about killing your plant, then wait a couple of days. Then you can continue to trim it. Just make sure you water it, and it gets plenty of light throughout the day.

It should be noted...don not trim this tree wile a cham is in there. They are non toxic, but thee same can cause issues. I would trim then wait a moth or so.

Back
Top Bottom