Cricketsicles?

amalthea23

Has anyone else had trouble with live cricket deliveries this winter? I've ended up going back to buying in person, though I'm wondering if it's safe to get online again. I breed dubia, but my panther likes crickets too, and I have a lot of toads and frogs, but three deliveries in a row arrived frozen! Do you all take winter off from live insect delivery?

I was pretty lucky, mine did ok. There was one order that had to be cancelled when we had the extreme cold, totally understandable. I just started getting bulk crickets from the local mom & pop pet store. They just order me a box with their cricket order. It works out to about the same price as having them shipped. I might start ordering crickets online again, with other feeders, though. Since the pet store doesn't carry silk or hornworms. It's nice to have the option to buy locally, especially with extreme hot or cold weather conditions.

We happen to have a really great reptile supply store not too far from my house, and they keep 500 and 1000 count boxes in stock, along with hornworms and all the rest. I'm just a huge baby about the cold in winter, so if I can get them delivered I will. I'm going to try to go to the reptile expo this weekend and load up! Soon, it'll be warm enough that I won't have to worry, I guess. This winter was just brutal with the cold.

You're so lucky! I wish I had a local source for silks and horns. :) The one reptile store, a few towns over, sporadically has horns, but they're usually HUGE.

I'm not sure if it's because I'm in NY, but even our petland discounts carries hornworms. Silkworms are tough to find, but I guess quite a lot of people around here own reptiles.

I live in Western NY, none of my local pet stores carry hornworms or silkworms. I have the same problem - this winter has been very cold, with many weeks with high temperatures in the teens. I stopped shipping when I started losing half or more due to freezing. I even tried picking up at the FedEx hub - still heavy losses. It's just too cold to ship when it gets that cold I guess. I am able to order boxes of 500 crickets through one pet store, and that's what I fall back on - although how they can get them in without them freezing is a mystery to me. I plan to be breeding my own dubias by next winter.

Do you guys get reptile expos up there? We have a ton downstate, but White Plains is the furthest north I've seen them.

Not enough - there is one in Corning, about 2 hours South at the end of this month, and another in Buffalo in May. I haven't seen any the past three months. :(

I go to the reptile expos, but I wish I could get to one of the Repticons. I follow them on facebook and they look amazing.

Back
Top Bottom