Crickets

Shaner

Hey I wasn't sure whether or not to post this here or in food but I figured here would be best.

My Cham won't eat crix, he refuses. I have left them in there(feeding cup their legs were clipped) for 2 days and didn't touch them. He is only 4 months but he eats any kind of worm no problem.

Anyone else have problems like this before? I want to avoid keeping him on meal worms as there is very little nutritional value, and they can cause impaction if they do not digest properly...but if it is all he will eat I will have to keep this up.

I have had the same problem somewhere along the way..At one point he refused crickets so i just gave him more of a variety including a few silkies, hornworms, locusts and eventually dubias.

I dont know if its a picky eating thing or hunger strike but he eats everything now even crickets again! I know if i was fed the same thing everyday i would get a tad sick of it :p

Now my question is how do you feed them silk or wax worms? Do you put them in a dish?

no wax worm and no meal worm either for my chameleons.:)

silkworm and horn worm are my choice.
just put them on the vine. they can latch on the vine ok unlike other feeder.

my cham refused crickets & locast when i 1st got him, know he eats them all day long!!!!!!!!!

When I got him, he was still a baby like 1 month old. He was eating pinheads and 1/8" Crix.

When I got him home, he wouldn't eat crix at all. So I put meal worms in front of him and boom he hammered them.

Ever since then he won't eat crix.

I put everything I feed to him in a feeder dish, no free roams yet until he is a bit bigger.

It is really weird why he would just refuse to eat crix only...makes no sense...unless he didn't like them at the breeder either lol brings back "bad memories" for him maybe lol.

When I got him, he was still a baby like 1 month old. He was eating pinheads and 1/8" Crix.

When I got him home, he wouldn't eat crix at all. So I put meal worms in front of him and boom he hammered them.

Ever since then he won't eat crix.

I put everything I feed to him in a feeder dish, no free roams yet until he is a bit bigger.

It is really weird why he would just refuse to eat crix only...makes no sense...unless he didn't like them at the breeder either lol brings back "bad memories" for him maybe lol.

nah. I don't believe that they retain "fond" or "bad" memories like human.
understandably, after eating JUST cricket pretty much for the rest of his life, he bounds to get tired of it.
In the wild, they eat varieties of insects.
So, give him more choice than just cricket and mealworms.

Last edited:
lol this is happening to my little one right now. and it sucks because i just bought 1000 crickets and he just doesnt seem interested in them. so lately to get him to eat a few i just have to show a little tough love until he eats a few, not alot, but a couple here and there. and its wierd because everyone gives advice 'to always feed a variety of food and he wont get bored" well my chameleon was eating crickets by the bucket load untill i started feeding varieties of worms and such, then he got spoiled. little turd ;)

Locusts

I have had the same problem somewhere along the way..At one point he refused crickets so i just gave him more of a variety including a few silkies, hornworms, locusts and eventually dubias.

I dont know if its a picky eating thing or hunger strike but he eats everything now even crickets again! I know if i was fed the same thing everyday i would get a tad sick of it :p

how were you able to get ahold of locusts in the US :confused: ive been trying to get ahold of them for a while

I put my crickets in a clear container that I hang from a vine. Sometimes leo will eat one outta my hand, but I dont let them free roam as they cage is 6ft tall and Leo rarely leaves the top of it and the crickets hide below. They crickets are not able to hop out of the container..i dont think they even know they could.. and after a few days, I find the container empty and Leo nearby so I know he ate, just on his own free will. Hornworms and wilkies can grasp but they tend to fall from my vines for some reason, so I either hand feed or put them in the container as well. If he is feeling good, he'll eat em right away, otherwise they hang out. If its not gone by next day, I try to handfeed him. Sometimes he is just too lazy to go to the container.:) Im gonna try some Dubias tomorrow.

how were you able to get ahold of locusts in the US :confused: ive been trying to get ahold of them for a while

breeding locust is illegal in US.
The only way is catching them in the wild.
Just be sure the area that you are catching them at is free of pesticides use.

Is there a reason why this post was moved?? I don't understand, it wasn't attacking anyone or vulgar what-so-ever?

Never Mind...I am a little slow lol..I answered my own question.

Back
Top Bottom