Crickets

My Panther Chameleon is 8 months old and is a pretty good size. I've started feeding him large crickets and he eats them with no problem. I also powder them with the right supplements everyday. Is he at the point where I feed him every other day and if so how many crickets every other day. Is about 4-7 large good for him? Here is a picture of him.
20211219_092954.jpg

When you compare the size of a large cricket with the space between his eyes, would the cricket fit there? If so then he should be able to handle them. To me your Cham looks small but there’s nothing to compare him to so I could gage his size. His plants and branches make him look very small.

When you compare the size of a large cricket with the space between his eyes, would the cricket fit there? If so then he should be able to handle them. To me your Cham looks small but there’s nothing to compare him to so I could gage his size. His plants and branches make him look very small.
The crickets definitely fit between his eyes. I made sure to check before feeding him the large. And the leaves definitely do make him look small lol. I have to trim the leaves about once a month because the leaves on the top grow so big and reach the heating lamp. Knowing the crickets are fine for him, would about 5 every other day be enough or too little for him?

As much as he will eat in a sitting ,every other or every 3rd day. This could be any random number depending on growth spurt or not.
Ok thanks. I fed him 5 large yesterday and then he just sat up on his basking branch for a while then occasionally moved spots for cooler areas or he moves to the UVB area. Thank you. I'll feed him another 5 crickets tomorrow. I also plan on getting more bugs for his diet such as silk worms.

dubia roaches would be good as well. Maybe some Bsfl for enrichment. If he doesn’t like the larvae he may like chasing and hunting down the flies.

My Panther Chameleon is 8 months old and is a pretty good size. I've started feeding him large crickets and he eats them with no problem. I also powder them with the right supplements everyday. Is he at the point where I feed him every other day and if so how many crickets every other day. Is about 4-7 large good for him? Here is a picture of him.
FWIW, I kept feeding my male panther daily until he was a year old. At that point, he was eating about 4-7 large crix per day—sometimes at one feeding—other times split between 2 feedings.

Right around one year, he began tapering off by himself (self-regulating). This doesn't happen with all animals, but it's great when it does. ;) Time will tell on that.

I think 4-7 Lg. crix every other day sounds fine—even better with some variety (roaches, worms, BSFL, etc.) I would offer 7 each time, and see how things progress. If he doesn't always eat all seven, he may be self-regulating, but you've got time to figure that out.

Back
Top Bottom