Crickets!!! What to do?

Dawniegirl

It seemed like something out of a Sci Fi :eek:...
So there is lately one, two or three crickets tops still in his cage sometimes. I usually try to get them out but if I can't get to them easily I'll leave them. I fear that they might try to eat Diego so I'll been leaving a small piece apple in a little dish in the bottom of Diego's cage so they have something to eat other then him & hope he gets the well fed cricket(s) in the morning. This morning I came down early & checked on him, he was sleeping on the side of his cage no longer in his plant like he was at night. I wouldn't have wanted to sleep on that plant either.....
Soooo here's what happened... Last night I cleaned out the cage bottom & removed the cheese cloth that was around his plant bottom & then added more small heavy rocks to the soil because I wasn't ready to replace the cheese cloth yet. He went to sleep on his plant. I spotted 2 crickets that I could not easily get out w/o disturbing him & pulling out branches... so I did like I've been doing if there is a cricket or 2 & put in a small piece of apple. This morning I woke & went to check him, he should have still be asleep & on his plant. I found him asleep but on the side of his cage hanging onto his screen. I thought how strange. Then I heard it.... weird movement sounds coming from his plant, like there was a small snake under the rocks or lots of bugs moving the rocks around. I couldn't see anything, room was dimmly lite. I got a flash light & still didn't see anything but the noise was coming from his plant & sounded like there could be more then a few cricket in there. I looked over at the small dish w/ the apple & there where 5 medium 1/2 inch crickets in there & one on the cage door screen. Also found one in the plant on top of the soil & walking on the rocks :eek::eek::eek: What to do!!!! I'm wondering if they have breed in the plant or maybe just built up. I think they were kinda trapped under the rocks that I added & trying to come up :eek::confused::eek::confused: I will further inspect the cage when I get home. Is it possible they breed in the plant & if so what kinda problem am I lookin at? Should I get rid of the plant? Try to repot, rinse off & add new soil? That sound coming from the plant really creeped me out!!! Ohhhh poor Diego, that must have been frightful for him :(
I'm thinking maybe removing the cheese cloth made them come up so to speak. What should I do? TIA!!!!!!!!!

well i would highly doubt they bread inthe plant, the crickets would be tiny not 1/2, i would guess that they r just missed crickets i wouldnt worry to much abou them they shouldnt hurt your cham and he will prob hunt them down when he is hungry. if stray crickets r a worrie maybe try cup feeding.

well i would highly doubt they bread inthe plant, the crickets would be tiny not 1/2, i would guess that they r just missed crickets i wouldnt worry to much abou them they shouldnt hurt your cham and he will prob hunt them down when he is hungry. if stray crickets r a worrie maybe try cup feeding.

I know those won't babies but wonder what all that noise & movement was under the rocks... poss a bunch of babies?!?! I sure hope not! Could 1/2 inch crickets reproduce? :confused:

i havent seen any of my crickets reproduce i keep about 60 at a time from 1/4 to adults and never had any babies. but i do know that a loose cricket can make alot of noise and make it seem like theres something going on. i would just give a good look around your cage and make sure, do you use any other feeders?

they are probably just crickets that you missed. What about cup feeding and pulling off their back legs so they cant get out of the cup?

You would hear them chirping under the plants or w/e you found them. I am not 100% positive but to my understanding adult crickets chirp and only adult crickets breed.

GO PACK GO!!!

You would hear them chirping under the plants or w/e you found them. I am not 100% positive but to my understanding adult crickets chirp and only adult crickets breed.

GO PACK GO!!!

I sooo hope your right! I would guess they would probably need to be adult to breed but you never know. I would freak if there where a bunch of babies in his cage! Thanks

they are probably just crickets that you missed. What about cup feeding and pulling off their back legs so they cant get out of the cup?

Feed cup I could do... pulling off the legs is a different story! I'm not sure if he would like the cup, he seems to like getting them but I might give it a try anyway. I'm definitely gonna check through that plant soil to see what's there later. Thanks Carol

i havent seen any of my crickets reproduce i keep about 60 at a time from 1/4 to adults and never had any babies. but i do know that a loose cricket can make alot of noise and make it seem like theres something going on. i would just give a good look around your cage and make sure, do you use any other feeders?

That's a relief. Glad to hear they can make a lot of noise... it was startling for sure.
Other feeders.... I sometimes use waxworms & small baby supers but not too much lately. I bought him some reptiworms but I & he both didn't like them much. I didn't like the fact they crawled EVERYWHERE & escaped the cage. I'm pretty sure the reptiworms turned into flies. I read a post from someone that they fed them to there cham & I thought hummm good idea. Now I'm wondering if it would by a good thing... I didn't feed them really. They just stayed in the container they came in & then turned to flies. I know because I went to open the container to see & something tried to get out real fast so I quickly closed it back up. I don't wanna give him anything that might make him sick. I think Diego may have gotten too much vits as it is & what to feed him good things.
Thanks!!!

Back
Top Bottom