Crickets or Roaches

Sdheli420, order 500 dubia. You'll be amazed at how much easier they are. You helped talk me into getting a panther instead of a male xanth, so I'm telling you, you need to get some diubia! ;D I still keep crickets, but the dubia are really growing on me. Quiet, they DON'T HOP, and they are VERY clean. They are actually kinda neat to, they just stay cuddled up with each other. They aren't as freaky as I thought they would be. So get some! You'll be glad!

I have a small colony of Dubias that i really don't pay attention to. I toss in a apple or carrot slice once a week and don't even look to see whats going on.

I had fed off all my Dubais aside from 3 Adult females and one male. I cleaned out their bin today and in less than a month there are now 32 nymphs.:eek:

No heat and i keep them at room temp (70*).. How fast do they grow, well how fast from birth to 1"?

I'm also in between crickets and Dubia roaches, I normally get 100 crickets every 2 weeks since I have 1 male, 5 month old, panther chameleon. Now he doesn't eat all 100 in 2 weeks, it just gives room for die off. My crickets dont smell either, probably from my custom cricket food, and I don't use heat or light, I assume that is why I get a 20-30% die off. Also I clean my cage in between batches and use new egg crate every week and add new food every week.

well for me the only option is crickets, in canada its illeagal to own, obtain, and breed exotic insects, as our cockroaches thrive in our conditions and if they were to breed with even 1 dubia hundreds of insect species could be wiped out, its the same with hissers, and ESPECIALLY Turkestan Roaches. I do find it sad, but i have seen the problems invasive species can cause even with my few travels to Costa Rica and Brazil and i wouldnt want it to happen here.

lol, a free range tokay gecko, i guess it would work, but what would keep him from running away, hmm?

Actually a lot of people do this. A lot of pet stores do it too. They stay out of sight and you can hear them bark at night on occasion. You leave a bowl of water out for them and they generally relieve themselves in a specific spot so you can put down paper ro something. They stay away from the doors because they stay away from you :)

A little off-topic, sorry :/

they dont pose a risk to the canadian wildlife, silkworms cant thrive here nor breed with locale species, they cant even live on locale food

I am a new chameleon owner and after all my preowner research I decided to start a small b. dubia colony because they don't smell, make noise, climb well, or fly (like the native roaches do...eew, I am totally repulsed by the native roaches!) They are also a good staple diet, like crickets, for your cham. In the begining I had no idea how I was going to deal with raising roaches, but within a couple of weeks it didn't bother me at all. The small ones kind of look like rollie pollies- the big ones, not so much, I steer clear of them! I bought some crickets too so that my dubia colony could grow before I started feeding them out. I have to say that I am so glad I started a roach colony because I just don't care to have crickets mainly because of the smell and the jumping... mine do not make noise for whatever reason, maybe they are the silent ones.

Actually, with a permit you absolutley CAN legally have hissers and various stick insects.
and Tropical roaches do not present much of an invasive threat due to canadian winters :)

Silkworms CAN live on local food, like grape vine leaves and dandelion leaves (not to metion mulberry leaves, which are grown in Canada easily)

Actually, with a permit you absolutley CAN legally have hissers and various stick insects.
and Tropical roaches do not present much of an invasive threat due to canadian winters :)

Silkworms CAN live on local food, like grape vine leaves and dandelion leaves (not to metion mulberry leaves, which are grown in Canada easily)
i did attempt even when i said i would be using them for "research" purposes, they told me i needed a super crazy setup that would cost a shitload of money :(

oh and sorry i meant its trickier to find them (food for silkies), and generally when you are in the city with a lawn of 15 square feet its hard to grow the stuff but by all means its possible

Back
Top Bottom