Crickets or Locust?

Duq

so i've been doing more research and read that locusts have more nutrional value then crickets. But yet on most veiled chameleon caresheets i rareley see locusts mentioned?

was just curious why this is and is it ok too feed my cham locusts rather then crickets?

so i've been doing more research and read that locusts have more nutrional value then crickets. But yet on most veiled chameleon caresheets i rareley see locusts mentioned?

was just curious why this is and is it ok too feed my cham locusts rather then crickets?

Crickets are more commercially available. I would much rather use locusts as a feeder. But because there known as a agricultural pest here in the States, are not allowed.

ahhh! thats prob why its not on many of the care sheets then if they're not allowed in the states :)

Thank you for your reply.

I use both but am in the UK - The locusts are more of a challenge for him as are quick and happy to jump away - he then chases or perches higher and shoots them from distance.

sorry to hi-jack but have great difficutly getting Mango to eat crickets - if i was to drop these from his diet would he be loosing out on any nutirients that crickets have and locusts don't?

I use both but am in the UK - The locusts are more of a challenge for him as are quick and happy to jump away - he then chases or perches higher and shoots them from distance.

sorry to hi-jack but have great difficutly getting Mango to eat crickets - if i was to drop these from his diet would he be loosing out on any nutirients that crickets have and locusts don't?

I have to imagine chameleons come into contact with locusts in the wild. As they fly and hop around during the day. Making locusts a better natural choice. Crickets are nocturnal, hiding in cracks and ground during the day. So, the loosing out on nutrients can be debated. Crickets will eat just about anything and can be fed desired items, it hopes that it is then passed onto our chameleons.
In captivity variety in diet helps in trying to hopefully cover, what is done naturally in the wild.

I imagine the reason is as stated above, that grasshoppers/locusts are hard to get in the US, unless you catch them yourself. I was recently at the Smithsonian and they had an exhibit on insects, arachnids and other creepy crawlies ( live bugs and many to handle ). They had lubber locusts which the woman told me are native to Florida and can't survive a northern winter. I wonder if it would be possible to get those up here and try and breed them as feeders. The adults were large and spiny but they would probably be good for large herps and the young would probably make good feeders for chameleons.

Crickets are easier to keep plus more available (course it depends on where you are located).
I'd stick to crickets.

Back
Top Bottom