Crickets or Dubia roaches

Sebaslechu

image.jpg what do you guys perfer? I’m getting annoyed of finding crickets all over my house and I might start buying dubias instead. I hope you guys enjoy this picture of Rambo.

I love dubias and so does my cham. She is so fond of them that it takes some convincing to get her to eat anything else. I have been using them for a little under a year now and she still loves them. They are easy to care for and surprisingly hardy, and they aren't too difficult to breed if that is what you want from them. Gotta love dubias!

Why not both :D From my PERSONAL experience... Dubia pros: Quiet, less likely to escape, bigger (can be pro depending on age of cham), and I personally have more luck keeping them alive/hardy. Diabia cons: More expensive (although they can be more filling), slow moving and do not as readily trigger the hunting instinct (my chams are not huge fans), slow growing, and not sure if this if normal or not but the dubias I have don't eat as readily as crickets, not sure what that says about their gut loading benefits.

Also not sure your feeding style, but I started cup feeding because of dubias. I used to free roam feed, but dubias often find a leaf to hide under and will stay very still. I'm sure cham would eventually find it, but there you have it ;)

I only have one thing to add...I was slow using roaches (eww) but once I took the leap...roaches smell much better than crickets. (EWWWW...X5)
I hate the smell too. Before I got my Cham I had switched my crested gecko to dubia. The smell vs enrichment payoff was not worth it to me. Now, I feed primarily red runner (Turkish) roaches and dubia. Dubia don’t have any scent that I can smell and the red runners sometimes smell faintly of “a seafood restaurant a few hundred feet away.”

Edit: spelling

I hate the smell too. Before I got my Cham I had switched my crested gecko to dubia. The smell vs enrichment payoff was not worth it to me. Now, I feed primarily red runner (Turkish) roaches and dubia. Dubia don’t have any scent that I can smell and the red runners sometimes smell faintly of “a seafood restaurant a few hundred feet away.”

Edit: spelling
I live in Florida so I use discoids and I like the fact that they can't climb the sides of a tote, can't fly, don't smell and don't die off as easily as crickets. I do use crickets too though because they are my chams favorite.

Female veileds are known for eating pretty much anything as well. When you have a panther you'll likely see the difference in appetites lol
That is so weird! My veiled has been sort of picky since the beginning, but she has put me in quite a quandary! Nobody on here has any answers for my confusion, but she seems to be at peak health. The only feeders she really eats are roaches, and every once in a while if I run out of roaches she will eat a few crickets. I tried with hornworms and BSFL and she did not approve! :rolleyes:

Huh that's funny. Most have veileds at risk for obesity lol. Anyway, sounds like you lucked out with a cham that loves dubias. I'd think she would like other roaches as well if she likes the dubias

Variety! I use dubias (switching to orange heads) and Black soldier flies as my base but do feed crickets some times. I also use other bugs. Dubias and BSF make up about 75% of their diet. I only get crickets when I order other bugs. I just get 200 of them to give them some variety.

Heads up, some chams get tired of dubias quickly because they dont move much. That's why i'm switching to orange heads. They can get tired of anything but dubias are more likely to be a permanent distaste. Mine just go off them for a week or so if I don't feed them other things. Once I feed the other bugs for a few days, they will except them again.

Back
Top Bottom