CRICKETS LOOSE IN THE HOUSE HELP!

Chewybahama

My cat knocked off my cricket container onto the floor while I was gone and the lid opened!! Probably 20-30 crickets excaped!!!! I've been finding them all day, they've managed to make it to all different rooms. Will this cause an infestation ?? Or will they all die off? How long till they die off? They creep me out so bad!

When you said your cat knocked over your cricket house I was thinking of how I have 1500 in a bin with no lid on top of my roach bin (and also my curious cats). With 20-30 (lol), your cat will have a field day. My wife has 3 of the squish face cats - they're super low energy and don't even "play". But when it comes to crickets... they now them down!

Otherwise, prepare to find them in the most random of places. When we moved a while back my wife found them in a stack of bowls inside a china hutch! Also, many other places, lol. It happens, and it's why I phased crickets out for the most part. They are now a "treat" for my guys and gals. I haven't found them inside any food or anything in the pantry. No worries!

Hahaha omg I love all these responses!!! XD Soo hopefully they all will die in a few weeks? I really don't want to start to find them in between my plates or in my blankets hahaha They aren't going to start mating are they? I don't want to have a neverending cricket problem lolol

Hahaha omg I love all these responses!!! XD Soo hopefully they all will die in a few weeks? I really don't want to start to find them in between my plates or in my blankets hahaha They aren't going to start mating are they? I don't want to have a neverending cricket problem lolol
They wont mate unless you keep your house temps in the mid-upper 80s, hehe. Chances are you won't find them in your bed either. They'll probably hang out around the kitchen collecting debris and water. Same is true around dog and cat food/water station, etc. They will also try and escape the house. You'll find the corpses most likely before you find the live crickets. And yes, they'll die in a month or less.

My cat knocked off my cricket container onto the floor while I was gone and the lid opened!! Probably 20-30 crickets excaped!!!! I've been finding them all day, they've managed to make it to all different rooms. Will this cause an infestation ?? Or will they all die off? How long till they die off? They creep me out so bad!

Oh, dear innocent newbie you ain't seen NOTHIN' yet! :wideyed:

How about a huge dubia roach colony way overdue for culling that fell off the shelf while I was at work so the little beasts had 8 hours to disperse themselves? Probably thousands. Why did it fall off? My theory was the roaches decided to hold a rave. Most stayed in the heap of frass where it was warm. Many did not. When I moved 3 years later I found long dead roaches everywhere. I was afraid if the moving company guys found any they would think I was some sort of slumlord with bad personal hygiene.

How about the 500 nightcrawlers I paid who-knows how much a piece for that escaped their open top bin (they'll only stay put if you hang a light over the bin...the bulb burned out) and crawled across the house all night? I stepped on slimy things for days afterwards and thought what each one cost every time I did. Found desiccated worm mummies in shoes, kitchen drawers, closets, my dresser, for months.

How about the 400 blue bottle fly pupae that emerged in their shipping box while in transit? Try to get all of them into any other container. The USPS counter agent jokingly asked if the box contained a bomb...the buzzing was so loud it was shaking. The humming just about drove me nuts.

Don't worry newbie...this was your baptism into the world of insect eating pets.

Last edited:
114D24C0-3AAD-439A-B726-A167D67A2C55.jpeg

When Picasso was little I use to let some crickets run free in his cage and then I put some carrots or veggies in these escape free dish, the next morning I have crickets in there...
My worst bug escape story was one day I went out like usual and had a wonderful time and came home, took off my sneaker and saw some dirty black spot on my sock... to my horror ... it was a huge dubia that had escaped before and was hidden in my sneaker... finding all squeezed up roach mess in your beloved sneaker is something I won’t forget.

BURN THE HOUSE DOWN!!!!

So what you want to do is place a plate full of bug burger on the floor then place a box over it with a stick to hold the box up. Tie a string around the stick, then you want to hide and play cricket love music. ACC0440B-EE02-45E2-BC0E-F84C01A2560F.jpeg

Last edited:
when my son was about 2-3 he picked up a bin of crickets I had and brought them to me while I was watching tv , I immediately jumped up and tried to negotiate with him but didn’t work, it freaked him out and he dropped them on the floor , I had to vacuum hundreds of crickets I just gut loaded

Back
Top Bottom