Crickets are disgusting, vile creatures.

Daesie11

Chameleon Enthusiast
I just finished cleaning my cricket and dubia bins and I feel like I have creepy crawlies all over me. They are both gross but the crickets are just the worst. Are there any CUC that I can put in with them that will make it even a little less gross??? I'll literally do anything, please help me bug people!

lmao, I once dropped a bag of 4 dozen large in my room, they were everywhere for the next couple days and it was basically hell so yea the biggest problem there was telling my parents, as for your cricket problem, for your chameleons cage, put them in a feeder run cup! that will solve your problems! no loose crickets, easy clean up.

lmao, I once dropped a bag of 4 dozen large in my room, they were everywhere for the next couple days and it was basically hell so yea the biggest problem there was telling my parents, as for your cricket problem, put them in a feeder run cup! that will solve your problems! no loose crickets, easy clean up.
My mom watched Pesto for a few days and dropped a cup of crickets... I still am finding them everywhere

I got a fan to put ontop of my cricket bin a couple weeks ago. The fan pushed the screen down and the crickets climbed out. Came home from work to 500+ crickets all over my basement. Im still finding the random one crawling around.
That sounds like something out of a horror movie

Luckily for me, my cricket supplier is like a 10mins walk away and I only bought enough to last a week or so. I always cut off the wings of adult males and yes I grab them with bare hands to prevent them from chirping. I have no fear of bugs except centipedes. I also cut off the hind legs because my leopard gecko is too slow to catch them.

Luckily for me, my cricket supplier is like a 10mins walk away and I only bought enough to last a week or so. I always cut off the wings of adult males and yes I grab them with bare hands to prevent them from chirping. I have no fear of bugs except centipedes. I also cut off the hind legs because my leopard gecko is too slow to catch them.
Oh no no no no no no. Nope no thanks

I only ever get enough for about a week. My son gags every time he opens the lid of the container.
I honestly dont find the smell to be THAT bad(its definitely not pleasant but it doesnt make me want to die), it's just how gross it gets in there in such a quick amount of time. I'm to the point that I'm just going to spot clean every single day so that I dont have to deep clean ever lol

I think with crickets it is important to spot clean and rotate bins frequently. Most of us do not have a ton of chams so we buy smaller amounts of feeders. This makes it easier to keep them cleaner. When I did have crickets I spot cleaned every day removing any die offs when I would remove the old gutload and add new. I also had a second bin to rotate them into which I would do every 2-3 days. Granted they still got pretty nasty... I think that is just crickets in general.

With my dubia I swap the gutload every day but I only clean them every weekend. They do not have the smell that crickets have and are much hardier so less die offs.

I think with crickets it is important to spot clean and rotate bins frequently. Most of us do not have a ton of chams so we buy smaller amounts of feeders. This makes it easier to keep them cleaner. When I did have crickets I spot cleaned every day removing any die offs when I would remove the old gutload and add new. I also had a second bin to rotate them into which I would do every 2-3 days. Granted they still got pretty nasty... I think that is just crickets in general.

With my dubia I swap the gutload every day but I only clean them every weekend. They do not have the smell that crickets have and are much hardier so less die offs.
Yeah I just bought an extra bin yesterday so it made cleaning pretty easy. I just used it as a temporary holding while I cleaned their original bin then dumped them back in once it was clean :ROFLMAO: tbh cleaning the dubias was more difficult than cleaning the crickets because I had to swap out egg crates also, and they hold onto those things so hard!

Yeah I just bought an extra bin yesterday so it made cleaning pretty easy. I just used it as a temporary holding while I cleaned their original bin then dumped them back in once it was clean :ROFLMAO: tbh cleaning the dubias was more difficult than cleaning the crickets because I had to swap out egg crates also, and they hold onto those things so hard!
Yeah the dubia kinda have death grips lol.

Yeah the dubia kinda have death grips lol.
I'm trying to start a colony also so I have the giant ones and I thought I was ok with dubias when they were just little, they were kinda cute cuz they reminded me of rolly pollys but the big ones oh God even talking about it just made me shiver. Heeby geebies for sure.

Back
Top Bottom