Cricket Question

camchem

Hello All,

If you buy your crickets in bulk and keep them for a while in a separate container, how do you catch them and transfer them to the enclosure with the chameleon in it?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Another trick you can do is to take sandpaper and rough up the sides of the container from the bottom about 2/3 of the way up. Crickets can them climb the sides. This gives more space for crickets, and also makes catching them simple- just take a cup and slide it up the side and they hop in. Ghann's sells an "easy counter" that I used to own that has square sides on the cup end, and a tube on the other end. These are perfect and made for sliding up the sides of roughed up containers to catch crickets.

I always just used a regular old plastic harkins cup for both crickets and Dubia

Yeah- a big soda cup will work just fine.

But if you ever try the "easy counter" you won't want to go back to the soda cup. It makes a significant difference. :D

I'm just getting used to having crickets in the house the thought of handling them makes me shiver I'm currently shaking a few into a seperate box where they get dusted and eat carrot all night then feed from that box in the morning

I'm just getting used to having crickets in the house the thought of handling them makes me shiver I'm currently shaking a few into a seperate box where they get dusted and eat carrot all night then feed from that box in the morning

I'm confused - what are you feeding the rest of your crickets that aren't in the separate box? Also, it's a good idea to not dust until just before you are feeding them to your chams. Crickets will knock off the dust and so you won't be giving as much to your chams as you think. Get a small cricket keeper and then use the papertowel tube to shake as many as you need into it. Dust and shake them, shake and bake style, then feed them to your chams. You won't have to touch them at all.

On a side note I never thought I'd be able to touch them either, but as the years progress you will reach down and nab stray crickets bare handed, I promise! If not, buy a dedicated dust buster that you only use for crickets and use that as your capturing device. You can also use that to suck up the crickets that will be that day's meal.

I'm confused - what are you feeding the rest of your crickets that aren't in the separate box? Also, it's a good idea to not dust until just before you are feeding them to your chams. Crickets will knock off the dust and so you won't be giving as much to your chams as you think. Get a small cricket keeper and then use the papertowel tube to shake as many as you need into it. Dust and shake them, shake and bake style, then feed them to your chams. You won't have to touch them at all.

On a side note I never thought I'd be able to touch them either, but as the years progress you will reach down and nab stray crickets bare handed, I promise! If not, buy a dedicated dust buster that you only use for crickets and use that as your capturing device. You can also use that to suck up the crickets that will be that day's meal.

They are having lots of carrot too! It's only until My cricket keeper comes should be next couple of days then it will all change

I would recommend that you feed your insects better for the good of your chameleon. You can feed crickets a wide assortment of greens such as collards, escarole, endive, dandelion greens, kale, etc and veggies such as carrots, sweet red pepper, squash,zucchini, sweet potato, etc.

Since the crickets are on egg cartons i just place a big Tupperware in there for when i am ready catch some and i just shake the egg carton off.

Let your Cham show you how it is done..

First you must work on flicking your tongue out, you need to match the acceleration of a fighter jet, this of course will take some practice.

Then you need to start working with your eye to tongue co-ordination, first start off with a silkworm, they are not fast movers, this should give you plenty of time to aim, and flick out your tongue..

I think that is the best way to catch them insects...

Sincerely

'Fella'
o1T0Ilr.jpg

Back
Top Bottom