Cricket Keeping

steveo

I'm going to be moving to an area where there are no local pet stores for me to pick up crickets. I currently visit the local pet store every couple of days to pick up my food. I believe I will be having them delivered, probably from somewhere like LLLReptile when I move. I was wondering what is the preferred way to keep a fairly large amount of crickets alive for the longest duration of time? The more crickets you buy in bulk the less each one costs, so I would ideally like to keep a fairly large amount.

Thanks,

Steve

Get a big rubbermaid storage container, cut a hole on top and put window screen. throw in some empty toilet paper rolls, egg crate, and food and water crystals. i buy 1/8" crickets and by the time my 3 chams are done, the crickets are usually about 1/2" in size, i buy 1000 at a time. Of course your gonna loose some on the way. That's the way i do it.

i use a 30 gal rubbermaid tub that i got for $5. i also get 1000 at a time. if you do get a lot then make sure to clean it out really good between refills.

10 gallon fish tank like you can get from petco for like 10 bux is just fine.
All you need is a screen top and egg cartons (which the crickets come with themselves) and throw in some toilet paper cardboard rolls for easier access to pick up the crickets. And they will survive for a long time as long as you give them enough food/water. I use apples, carrots, and grapes. Hope this helps.

David

I also recommend that you keep them out in the garage. Because they can really be noisy and STINK!! I had to clean the cricket bin every 2 days in order to keep the stink down to a minimum. I personally think raising roaches are much better than crickets. But if my parents find out, they would go crazy. So I moved my secret roach operation in a rubbermaid tub in the garage.

I also recommend that you keep them out in the garage. Because they can really be noisy and STINK!! I had to clean the cricket bin every 2 days in order to keep the stink down to a minimum. I personally think raising roaches are much better than crickets. But if my parents find out, they would go crazy. So I moved my secret roach operation in a rubbermaid tub in the garage.

That's funny. I can picture your Mom or Dad going into the garage, thinking "oh I could use this Rubbermaid to store X...OMG!"

Ahh, my stomach hurts from reading that one. I laughed so hard. How do you keep that a secret.

I really get grossed out by bugs, I am finally getting used to crickets but do you think roaches are less gross?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... "Hmmm what do we have here? AWWWW HOLY #(^%*$ What the #(%*$ is this $#%* AWWW #$(^$* how the $%^(^ did that get here holy ^!@#.
Im going to kill my son! "

I can just see it now... :D

i keep my smelly crickets in my smelly room. my mom doesnt notice a difference between the smelly cricket smell and the smelly boy smell. she said my room smells like my grandpa used to. thats a bad thing. a really and thing. but hey why change now?

Reply to above. I too get these little black bugs that are in with the crickets. What are they? They baby crickets?

They have a hard shell.... Small... Black.... I dont know how to describe it...

Reply to above. I too get these little black bugs that are in with the crickets. What are they? They baby crickets?

They have a hard shell.... Small... Black.... I dont know how to describe it...

no it's not baby crickets..
baby crickets looked like .. well... a cricket.. just tiny one.

well i dont bulk up like most of everyone on here seems to do. i bout one of those little 10 dollar plastic terrariums you see at petstores and keep about 20-30 at a time. I use flukers orange cubes and their cricket feed as well, works out great.

also got a little egg carton tray in there as well, and keep the food cage next to the chams cage, so they can absorb some of the lamps heat.

today i look in the chams cage, and i saw that the crix i had were breeding, i think that is awesome. I tried cricket breeding some time ago, but didnt work out. funny how things work out when you dont intend for it

I have a tough time keeping my crickets alive. I think it is too cold where they are. My garage would CERTAINLY be too cold as it is subzero right now.

Duke

Back
Top Bottom