Cricket help!

Kali11

Established Member
I'm pretty sure I have a phorid fly problem with my crickets. I've been reading like crazy trying to figure out how to get rid of these creepy crawleys! I clean out all the dead crickets. They still keep getting in there! Last time I cleaned the whole container out and there was larvae in there :wideyed: I dumped container and all started all over. Now I've seen them flying around again in there. So gross!

Any advice on how to keep this from happening? I clean out all the dead ones everyday. Idk what else to do!

I'm pretty sure I have a phorid fly problem with my crickets. I've been reading like crazy trying to figure out how to get rid of these creepy crawleys! I clean out all the dead crickets. They still keep getting in there! Last time I cleaned the whole container out and there was larvae in there :wideyed: I dumped container and all started all over. Now I've seen them flying around again in there. So gross!

Any advice on how to keep this from happening? I clean out all the dead ones everyday. Idk what else to do!
Do you have window screen mesh hot glued over the opening in the lid? Where do you get your crickets from?

I have them in a storage bin with tiny holes cut in the top. I get them from petco.

Is the larvae dermastid beetle larvae? If not, I have a gasket sealed bin so nothing can get in or out, with a hole as big as possible in the lid (only the rim is left) with window screen mesh hot glued to the lid (no gaps). You could do that to make sure nothing infests your crickets. You could also try ordering your crickets online from a reputable source just in case the larvae is coming from Petco. Do you have a pic of the larvae? It could be another type of cleaner crew

I should of took a pic of the larvae. But I freaked and threw the bin and all in the trash. If I see the larvae again, I will take a pic. I'm not real sure what they are. From what I've googled I guess they're phorid flies.

Yeah, that’s not any cleaner crew. I would deep clean everything and put new egg crate in and make sure to put only the crickets back in

I trashed the whole bin. I haven't seen anymore larvae. I just have little gnat/fruit fly looking bugs. I've killed most of them. Lol.

I trashed the whole bin. I haven't seen anymore larvae. I just have little gnat/fruit fly looking bugs. I've killed most of them. Lol.
I have found that gnats and fruit flies go after the cricket food. Use the housing @ERKleRose mentioned above, but some still get through the mesh, so I bought some double backed sticky pads to catch them and stuck one side to the inside top of my crate. Also...I cut 2 holes the size of tennis balls on my lid instead of most of the top...glue gunned the mesh and then lay a paper towell over the holes. Should cut down on your problem. Fruit fly larvae looks like the little maggots you described.

I have found that gnats and fruit flies go after the cricket food. Use the housing @ERKleRose mentioned above, but some still get through the mesh, so I bought some double backed sticky pads to catch them and stuck one side to the inside top of my crate. Also...I cut 2 holes the size of tennis balls on my lid instead of most of the top...glue gunned the mesh and then lay a paper towell over the holes. Should cut down on your problem. Fruit fly larvae looks like the little maggots you described.
I've been using mainly carrots. I think my problem is I have a little sponge in there for water. Should I take that out?

I've been using mainly carrots. I think my problem is I have a little sponge in there for water. Should I take that out?
Get Cricket Crack or Sticky Tongue Farms Vit-All, or make your own gutload with unflavored gelatin and organic fruits and veggies off of the gutload page here in resources. For water, do water gel or a cotton ball soaked in water

I cleaned out the dead crickets when I got home from work. I tried to get some pics of the worms. I'm sorry it has dead crickets in the pics.

Attachments

• IMG_0691.jpg
    IMG_0691.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0692.PNG
    IMG_0692.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 169
  • IMG_0693.PNG
    IMG_0693.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 166
Back
Top Bottom