Cricket farm

YouTube does make breeding crickets look easy. It is quite a bitch in fact. I'm just getting back into chameleons as of this past April. Before I divorced, I had my own reptile room, a large rodent colony and a whole 10x12 shed to raise crickets. Talk about a chore. I went overboard breeding Veileds at one point and had like 175 (2:6 adults and the rest were offspring), and I could hardly keep them fed by breeding my own. Breeding them is very hit and miss; one week I might hatch a batch and have tens of thousands, and then the next week several hundred. I never could figure out the variables that would cause such a wide range in the numbers. After factoring in the work involved, the price of feeding that many crickets ( Let me tell you, 50,000 crickets will blaze through some produce) and the uncertainty of what you will hatch, it's better to just order your own if you only have a couple of chameleons. The only time it makes sense to breed them, is when you are breeding and have hatchling chameleons and need a constsant supply of 1/4" crickets. Dubias are alot easier to certain degree, but the only thing about them is it can take alot longer to get a good colony up and running, as they are aren't nearly as prolific as crickets.

i watched the same show. i fell asleep before i saw what happened to the racoon's. what happened??

Ha.. the raccoons finally fell through the ceiling when the family was gone, from the urine and feces soaking through so much it just gave in. They came home to torn up furniture and ravaged house dripping with nastiness from months. Health inspector finally condemned home.

Back
Top Bottom