Cricket Care

Every time I get crickets, they always die. I have a decent amount right now, most of them are in the black tube, and all the dead ones are on the ground (Some alive ones are on the ground as well)

Attachments
  • WIN_20210112_16_44_32_Pro.jpg
  • WIN_20210112_16_44_47_Pro.jpg
  • WIN_20210112_16_44_59_Pro.jpg
  • Sorry about the bad pictures, my camera isn't the best..

I keep mine in a big tub. I buy egg cartons Amazon for the inside of the tub. Easy diy.

Attachments

• 16104976605133324029749880146481.jpg
    16104976605133324029749880146481.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 95
Cleanliness is everything with keeping your crickets alive, especially in cricket keepers. They need their waste and dead ones cleaned out daily. Only feed them small amounts that they will be able to eat in one day and clean the old food out. I have to order hundreds at a time so have been using the massive bins that I’ve added lots of ventilation to. Currently trying a bioactive set up with my crickets to see if it works. So far, all seem to still be alive and well.

Cleanliness is everything with keeping your crickets alive, especially in cricket keepers. They need their waste and dead ones cleaned out daily. Only feed them small amounts that they will be able to eat in one day and clean the old food out. I have to order hundreds at a time so have been using the massive bins that I’ve added lots of ventilation to. Currently trying a bioactive set up with my crickets to see if it works. So far, all seem to still be alive and well.
I made 3 tubs. I use 2 and keep 1 in the rotation as I clean a bin. I've been buying 250 mediums and 500 larges from Josh's and feedercrickets.com. I feed daily and clean often. (I think it keeps the 'stink' to a minimum.) Not a lot of dead loss.

Every time I get crickets, they always die. I have a decent amount right now, most of them are in the black tube, and all the dead ones are on the ground (Some alive ones are on the ground as well)

Attachments
  • WIN_20210112_16_44_32_Pro.jpg
  • WIN_20210112_16_44_47_Pro.jpg
  • WIN_20210112_16_44_59_Pro.jpg
  • Sorry about the bad pictures, my camera isn't the best..
Also orange peel has natural insecticide. You would be better off using the fresh greens from the gutload image.
chameleon-gutload.jpg

I would always get banded crickets from Petsmart but they seem to be switching back to Acheta domesticus. I have no problem with the species but I prefer to use both Banded and Acheta so I’ll need to find banded crickets that I don't have to buy in bulk elsewhere. 😕
Yeah i prefer the banded and luckily theres one place local i can get em from 🙌

Even though they say they are reusable, they aren’t. You can use damp cotton balls or paper towel though

Are you serious!? 🤦‍♂️Thats so disappointing, kinda the whole reason i wanted to switch 😩 ive done damp paper towel but it dries out really fast, ill give the cotton ball a shot, thanks🍻

Yeah i prefer the banded and luckily theres one place local i can get em from 🙌

Are you serious!? 🤦‍♂️Thats so disappointing, kinda the whole reason i wanted to switch 😩 ive done damp paper towel but it dries out really fast, ill give the cotton ball a shot, thanks🍻
Yup, either damp cotton balls or paper towels, water crystals, wet commercial gutload, fresh gutload ingredients, or kosher gelatin that has blended up fresh gutload ingredients and/or commercial gutload in it for cricket hydration. With the kosher gelatin one, you can freeze what you don’t use and defrost as needed

Mkay. We have a giant Tupperware bin that I can switch to. And I'll DEFINITELY try out the soaked cotton balls. I've been looking for different hydrating methods and this looks like the one! I'll also switch to greens for the gut loading. Thanks for all the info!! (y)💚

Back
Top Bottom