cricket breeding

christyo2o2

i looked a bit in thsi forum and saw alot about breeding mealworms and supers but I did not see anything about breeding crickets. anyone knwo a website i could go to to learn the best way for crickets to make crickets?

im not trying to change your mind about breeding crickets but they are a pain and stink require alot of attention and care. Im breeding blaptica dubia roaches i would study up on these also but a lot of those crix are gonna die and stink.

There is a link or two about breeding crickets here. They're not worth the trouble in my opinion. I'm slowly phasing them out, as others are, for roaches and silkworms. They're much easier to breed and have many other advantages over crickets. You'll have to get them online most likely though. lllreptile.com , blaberus.com, mulberryfarms.com are places I get mine

we dont have anywhere here locally to get roaches.

go to blapticadubia.com they have good prices and very good to deal with they only ship out on mondays and last orders are taken on sunday noon i ordered mine saturday got em wed. great shape they send extra in case some die but only 1 was dead try them

Think i might give it a shot for a batch or so. Seems that the crickets i buy from petco or anywhere die pretty quick.

i am in the same boat but crickets are such a pain i will chime in and say i wouldn't bother keeping them also... dubias are great, but my gf wont let me have them either so i am focusing on breeding superworms. they are really easy. mealworms too are VERY easy and once a colony is started you can pick out the freshly molted ones for feeding.

i did some math on how much crickets i use as a feeder now with just one cham and the effort for breeding them is way too much. i don't want a feeder that takes more attention to keep than my cham- that they are here to feed in the first place lol :)

so has any one started on this project?????? I will start next week and will take pics from start to beginning and see if i get any luck!

Here is a very nice cricket breeding container created by LaserGecko!

https://www.chameleonforums.com/gallery/browseimages.php?c=3&userid=2026

I've been trying to breed crickets for a while now but haven't been putting a ton of effort into it. They stink, they're noisy and they don't grow very fast for me. I always have a few baby crix on hand but it is a huge project and I don't have the space or time to do it correctly. I'll have to work on this a bit though because I'll have lots of hungry mouths to feed when my veiled eggs hatch. :)

I'm concentrating on growing silkworms right now. They are far easier to look after. They don't stink, they don't make noise, they don't jump around or get loose in your house, they grow to a decent size within a month and they are far healthier for you chams. I just spend the $10-15 a week on crix and with the more silkworms I grow that amount will be less. I am going to try to let them cocoon into moths and get my own eggs with this batch. The moths don't fly and the process sounds fairly simple. And after the moths lay their eggs you can feed the moths to your chams.

Good luck and be sure to let us know if you find any tricks that make the cricket rearing process easier!!

Dyesub Dave. :D

Back
Top Bottom