Cricket Breeding Not so success :(

I have 160L Plastic Containers that I keep my breeding crickets in with two tubs with peat moss kept moist in the container with them to lay the eggs in. I leave the tubs in for a week and then remove them to another container with a heating pad. I put the tubs on the heating pad, spray the substrate once a day and after a week the pinheads start to hatch. I then transfer the pinheads to another container with bran as floor cover to keep the smell away, egg crates fro them to hide and small lids with cotton wool kept moist for them to drink. I permanently have a steady supply of crickets and at the moment I probably have a million crickets.

What do you do to keep them from smelling? Mine have a very minimal odor if they have any. I just keep them dry.

I use 10 or 20 gal fish tanks. I keep no more then 500 to a 10gal tank.
I use a square flat plastic cut out from a deli lid as the feeding dish...this is also used for cleaning I'll describe in a moment.

each day I use freash, wet gutload. buy dumping the old food each morning, you no longer have ROTTING food making half the SMELL that some people will have. after dumping the old food in the garbage I use that flat plastic plate to scrape up as much of the poop and cassings/dead crickets that I can. this takes 30 seconds tops, and I do this every other day or every 3 days...this removes the other half of the STINK.

a clean bin and fresh food means healthy crickets and NO SMELL.

I also use a small tub with organic soil for the females to lay in. see the poster above me as to what to do with this tub if you want the most babies...or you can leave it in the fish tank and just get some babies to servive with the sub-adults and adults.

as long as you don't over crowd the tank and clean it every few days, it will smell like a salad if you stick you nose inside and take a deep wif.

I do use a dry gutload too, but only about once or twice a week with a slice of orange to help prevent the rear legs from getting paralized from all the high calcium greens and veggies that I normaly use.
yes, it's Steve's Cricket Crack. ;)

Harry

Back
Top Bottom