Cricket bite, burn, or something else?

nicholas

Established Member
Hey guys a new female Panther of mine seems to have an injury on her back and I cannot figure out what it is from. I thought it might be a burn but the heat lamp does not seem that hot on the screen, I can hold my hand there for as long as I want and it does not feel like it could burn her. My second thought is that it could be from a cricket, I try not to keep to many if any in there over night, but some do escape her clutches and live to see another day, could that be what this is? Let me k ow your thoughts. Thanks guys.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 235
I'm not sure where the injury is. I don't see anything obvious that says bite.

It is possible for reptiles to burn themselves on heat sources that don't feel too warm by our standards. I highly suggest using a thermometer in the basking area, Anything over 100 is too hot for most chameleons.

Post more pictures.

Also fill out the how to ask for help template in the health clinic section of the forums. It will allow others to help troubleshoot your issue.

Thanks,

D

The second pic looks more to me like a thermal injury.

I would elevate the heat lamp off the cage a few inches. Also take a temp reading at the basking site. High 80s low 90s at the branch directly under should be more than enough.

Thanks! I have the light about 3.5 - 4 inches away. I'll check the temp on it.

It is a classic place for a thermal burn. How severe it is isn't clear, but it could be mild. Check the temp with a thermometer, not your hand. What would feel "warm" to you (warmer than 98.6 F) will be hot to a cham. A cham doesn't need to have direct physical contact with a bulb to get burned. When they are basking they are trying to get their internal organs up to operating temp. That takes more time than it does to warm their skin. And, as we supply heat using a pretty focused intense beam of heat from a lamp instead of the broadly dispersed heat from the sun, its more likely to burn.

Back
Top Bottom