Creative Ideas Using Lattice

alara

I've been going through different threads and have seen a few people use lattice or something similar in their enclosures and was curious if anyone else has used it in their enclosure. If you have, what for? And I would love to see pictures! I just put lattice on the sides of my screen enclosure to hang plants on. Was also thinking about using it for the bottom drainage somehow? But not sure yet lol

I used lattice in my reptibreeze. I had it cut in two pieces and fit each piece into the sides of my enclosure. Then I could put branches and wooden dowels across and at angles up and down throughout my enclosure. Having the lattice also allowed me to zip tie the dowels and branches to it so they are safe for my Cham to walk on and they can’t fall or turn while he’s doing it. I highly recommend it!

Here are some pictures. They are older pictures and I don’t think I have the branches zip tied to the lattice yet but I did do that. I’ll have to take some updated pictures tomorrow and post them because I’ve since redone his enclosure.

Attachments

• CD6C28EA-63B7-40D8-94DE-D366244BD616.jpeg
    CD6C28EA-63B7-40D8-94DE-D366244BD616.jpeg
    284.1 KB · Views: 116
  • A2A2D2AD-10DD-432C-B869-EA8CE52BD23B.jpeg
    A2A2D2AD-10DD-432C-B869-EA8CE52BD23B.jpeg
    590.2 KB · Views: 108
  • 614FA052-525A-4538-AD2F-9F4E84FB6170.jpeg
    614FA052-525A-4538-AD2F-9F4E84FB6170.jpeg
    580.4 KB · Views: 103
  • 37E99085-87AA-45D5-8F4A-C3146C964F2E.jpeg
    37E99085-87AA-45D5-8F4A-C3146C964F2E.jpeg
    268.2 KB · Views: 99
Perhaps you saw this list:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...es-to-a-screen-cage.45609/page-2#post-1685393
It contains pictures, and ways folks have used all the methods mentioned.

In my own enclosure, I use ceiling egg crate for a variety of purposes—attaching & supporting dowels & branches, a trellis for climbing plants/vines, and under the screen floor to provide support for plant pots.
Yes! That's basically what I ended up doing. How did you use it for the screen floor? I'm been trying to envision using it to sit plants on but about an inch or so above the drainage tray so that the pots don't sit in any water as it's trying to drain, but I'm not sure how to go about doing that lol

Here are some pictures. They are older pictures and I don’t think I have the branches zip tied to the lattice yet but I did do that. I’ll have to take some updated pictures tomorrow and post them because I’ve since redone his enclosure.
Yes, yours is the post that inspired me to do the same!! Hope you you don't mind me using your idea, I just love the look of the lattice and makes it so much easier to work with lol I cut three pieces and put it on the back wall and two sides. I plan on hanging plants using aluminum wire to hook it into the lattice. And I also bought wooden dowels, cut the sizes I needed and attached them using push pins on each side. I tried zip ties, but the holes in the screen are too small to fit it through without ripping it.

Yes! That's basically what I ended up doing. How did you use it for the screen floor? I'm been trying to envision using it to sit plants on but about an inch or so above the drainage tray so that the pots don't sit in any water as it's trying to drain, but I'm not sure how to go about doing that lol
It depends on your drainage tray. Some trays are mfd. with raised areas that can support the egg crate. Some are not, so you'll need to provide some kind of risers/spacers that can withstand sitting in water and support the weight of whatever you'll be putting on top of the raised floor. 1" (2.5 cm.) should be sufficient.
1629295084714.png
You want the mesh in contact with—or as close as possible to—the egg crate.
Here's an old pic of mine.
1629295839376.png

And the drain...
1629295704802.png

It depends on your drainage tray. Some trays are mfd. with raised areas that can support the egg crate. Some are not, so you'll need to provide some kind of risers/spacers that can withstand sitting in water and support the weight of whatever you'll be putting on top of the raised floor. 1" (2.5 cm.) should be sufficient.
You want the mesh in contact with—or as close as possible to—the egg crate.
Here's an old pic of mine.
View attachment 307943

And the drain...
View attachment 307942
Oh ok, I have an Exo Terra cage that came with a drainage tray, but it's flat. I'll look into getting some kind of risers to help lift whatever material I decide to go with. I'm going to Lowe's tomorrow, maybe I'll find something. Thank you!

Oh ok, I have an Exo Terra cage that came with a drainage tray, but it's flat. I'll look into getting some kind of risers to help lift whatever material I decide to go with. I'm going to Lowe's tomorrow, maybe I'll find something. Thank you!
If you're going to use ceiling egg crate (which you can get at Lowes), you want something with a large enough diameter that it will not fit/fall through the holes in the egg crate, and not tip over easily.

In a 24 x 24 enclosure, possibly 9 of these:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/LASCO-2-in-x-2-in-x-2-in-dia-Coupling-PVC-Fitting/3307894

Yes, yours is the post that inspired me to do the same!! Hope you you don't mind me using your idea, I just love the look of the lattice and makes it so much easier to work with lol I cut three pieces and put it on the back wall and two sides. I plan on hanging plants using aluminum wire to hook it into the lattice. And I also bought wooden dowels, cut the sizes I needed and attached them using push pins on each side. I tried zip ties, but the holes in the screen are too small to fit it through without ripping it.
I didn’t zip tie the branches to the screen, I zip tied the branches to the lattice. I kept the solid floor in the bottom of my cage but drilled some holes in the middle to the water would drain out then set the cage on top of a washing machine drainage tray on top of 4 circles of pvc that were flat on both sides to lift the cage up out of the tray and I put the whole thing on top of a small end table. The water drains out of 4 small holes I drilled in the front of the tray into a bucket.

Last edited:
I cannot find the right size lattice! Where did you get it?

I cannot find the right size lattice! Where did you get it?
I bought it at Lowe’s but beware, they won’t cut it to size for you! I almost think a better idea is getting 4 tall thick branches, one for each corner of your enclosure and tying them to the frame of your enclosure with fishing line so the frame of your enclosure bears the load, also you can just push the fishing line through the mesh without causing holes, and then you can zip tie branches to these in all different levels and directions. I saw someone on here do this but I can’t remember who just now. It looks more natural and works great!

Perhaps you saw this list:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...es-to-a-screen-cage.45609/page-2#post-1685393
It contains pictures, and ways folks have used all the methods mentioned.

In my own enclosure, I use ceiling egg crate for a variety of purposes—attaching & supporting dowels & branches, a trellis for climbing plants/vines, and under the screen floor to provide support for plant pots.
Bump for the ceiling egg crate this was a huge game changer for me when I did my customization of the zoomed xl with the great stuff foam. But also works well in other applications

Back
Top Bottom