Creating an "Adjustable UV Out-put" Light / Lighting System for the American Market... does anyone think it's a good idea?

I think this is an excellent idea !! As I play with my meter inside and outside all the time . Of course in the early morning hours UV is low And rises throughout the day and then tapers back off . And of course there’s also cloud cover etc.. I try to use the same approach with my timers of course it’s immediate and not gradual like the sun would be . I’ll start off with the basking light first thing in the morning then UVB comes on with one plant light , then around noon A second set of 65K plant lights come on with a daylight shutting off around four and then finally going off at the end of the day . Trying to mimic sunrise to sunset . Of course there’s no way of controlling how much UVB output by doing this process it’s only on or off . It would also be nice to have a random setting to possibly mimic cloud cover with the Uv going up and down periodiclly . I’m a Carpenter not Electrician So that’s beyond my scope of work. Sign me up I’ll buy one 😊👍

Besides basking and uvb light. Do you need another light on? Right now I don't even use the basking light since temp is already up. I'm set up in a roofed over screened in porch, no direct sun.

Besides basking and uvb light. Do you need another light on? Right now I don't even use the basking light since temp is already up. I'm set up in a roofed over screened in porch, no direct sun.
I guess it’s up to you , my conditions are a little different my nighttime temperatures get down into the 50s my daytime temperatures could reach over a hundred outside . Yes I use six bulbs and my Basking light .my habitat is huge 5 x 6 x 3 . Basking light is just for a quick warm off shuts off by 9 o’clock then it goes to four lights one UVB three 65k plant lights, afternoon add two more daylight then the Scenario reverses. I can only have my cams outside for about three hours in the morning on the weekends because I work during the week

Attachments

• 1CA1FB5A-7801-4E72-B45E-136EAAEA7338.jpeg
    1CA1FB5A-7801-4E72-B45E-136EAAEA7338.jpeg
    295.8 KB · Views: 65
I guess it’s up to you , my conditions are a little different my nighttime temperatures get down into the 50s my daytime temperatures could reach over a hundred outside . Yes I use six bulbs and my Basking light .my habitat is huge 5 x 6 x 3 . Basking light is just for a quick warm off shuts off by 9 o’clock then it goes to four lights one UVB three 65k plant lights, afternoon add two more daylight then the Scenario reverses. I can only have my cams outside for about three hours in the morning on the weekends because I work during the week
Looks nice 😍. I didn't know if I needed to use another light like a house type led bulb to act like sun light as I don't need heat.

Looks nice 😍. I didn't know if I needed to use another light like a house type led bulb to act like sun light as I don't need heat.
It all Depends on your enclosure and how much light you’re cam‘s getting. If he’s outside he’s already getting natural light . My guys live in my man cave and it’s literally a cave 😊 and as you can tell I’m an overachiever

Last edited:
It all Depends on your enclosure and how much light you’re cam‘s getting. If he’s outside he’s already getting natural light . My guys live in my man cave and it’s literally a cave 😊 and as you can tell I’m an overachiever
But it looks great. Here's my set up

Attachments

• IMG_20220606_070659_hdr_kindlephoto-896340306.jpg
    IMG_20220606_070659_hdr_kindlephoto-896340306.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 62
screened porch ? Free Range ? Looks Nice . I guess your humidity is great there .. that was one of my hardest issues to overcome ..
24x24x48 Repti breeze on screened in porch. 30-50 humidity during day, 70-80 humidity at night. I'm near Lake Okeechobee in Florida 😊

I think it would be worth it if you actually had a way to ensure that the output was in fact the range of exposure you were wanting to achieve. However there are many variables to consider as you know. How heavily planted an enclosure is up to the screen top and what type of screen it is going through.

Right now without a solarmeter most are going on the typically recommended distances to a branch below the fixture. So for a 5.0 or 6% bulb in a single bulb T5HO fixture it needs a distance of 8-9 inches to the branch below it with a screen in between to get an approximate 3 UVI level where the chams body sits off the branch. Then for a 10.0 or 12% bulb in a single bulb T5HO fixture it needs a distance of 11-12 inches to the branch below it with a screen in between to get an approximate 3 UVI level where the chams body sits off the branch.

This still does not ensure the exact UVI as we know fixture type and reflector can make a big difference on output levels. Not to mention UVB reduction levels that happen naturally over the bulb "life". And again the screen type used that the fixture is going through.

What I will say is not many people are willing to spend money especially if they are new to the hobby. We recommend a solarmeter to be used to verify levels however many people do not buy one. When it comes to UVB most seem to just buy the cheapest they can get their hands on because of the expense of all the other items needed to provide correct husbandry.

I do think it being a 3 bulb unit and having daylight bulbs with it would make it more worth wild for people to buy. If you can make the price comparable to at least using 3 single T5HO fixtures. 2 with daylight bulbs and 1 with UVB. That alone would run someone about $150 cost of fixtures and UVB bulb.
Hi Beman.

Yes.
3 bulb seems to be what I am thinking about.

4 is allot and 2 just is not that much if someone has allot of plants.

The design in the works has 2 cords / 2 Independent switches.

So 2 bulbs can be on a timer

and then ONE bulb can be on a timer.

I am NOT going to do a built in timer...
why?
Because in my past experiences that can fudge up...... and then the whole fixtures is junk!

I feel that if TOO MUCH tech is incorporated into something that should be fairly simple, it creates just more planned obsolescence.

If someone wanted to then get 2 simple 6.99 timers they could:

Say....

Have ONE 6% bulb come on at 8 am for "sunrise"...

And then have the other set of TWO, the one Daylight and ONE more 6% come on at say around 10 or 11 AM for "mid day sun" when all 3 bulbs are on.

Two 6% and one daylight should create the approx. desired UV for the average 24 x 24 x 48 cage.

If someone wanted / needed more UV,
just swap out a 6% for a 12% ....or 14% on a super large cage or with a greater distances*
*ie. Like If lights were hanging 12" - 18" over banks of cages.... and going through screen.

Of course ---
I would test it out with screen anyway to make sure that a basking perch approx. 10" - 13" under the bulbs would get a UVI of about 2.8 - 3.2.

Also ...
there may be "magical panel" inserts available 😉👍
to create customizable "shaded" or lower UV levels IN CERTAIN AREAS.
Creating different Ferguson Zones ... if you subscibe to that line of thinking...🥴
that can be added, removed or adjusted easily.

💥Ker-Pow Baby! 💥

And maybe even a mini UV "Condensing" reflector to add/ focus in more UV to a basking area.
(probably better for like bearded dragons rather than Chams, but ya' never know.)

And it has to be packaged in such a way, with easy to understand instructions
so that that beginners and novices can use it with great success & TOTAL CONFIDENCE.

With Predicatable UV Results,
so that it can be successfully used even if the beginner or novice doesn't have access to a Solarmeter.

All for the low low price of ...... ????

DOH!
I DON'T KNOW YET 🤨

BUT

It would be great if a 3 bulb t5 fixture like this was around a hundred bucks or less.

Cheers.

Todd
lightyourreptiles.com

Back
Top Bottom