Crawfish and Panther Chameleons

Jevin

Chameleon Enthusiast
I was just reading one of my many biology books and stumbled across a couple that had panther chameleons in them. They listed their diet as insects and some crustaceans, immediately, my mind jumped to the crawfish as I know they are capable of surviving for extended periods of time outside the water. Curiously, Madagascar has an endemic species of crawfish, Astacoides, so the possibility of panther chameleon eating one in the wild I think would be a possibility. It certainly would not be a challenge for a Panther Chameleon to crush the shell of a crawfish either.

From keeping them myself, I know that crawfish are actually quite adept at climbing and can survive outside of water for a long period of time, pretty much as long as their gills stay wet. Also, it would seem like a good source of calcium for a chameleon considering that the shell of a crawfish is made hard due to calcium carbonate, although I may be off about this I am a geologist not a biologist, in the shell which is easily broken down when exposed to acid. And upon further research, a whole crayfish composition has a calcium percentage of 12.3% and a phosphorus ratio of 1%. As for the rest of the nutrition, they seem to stand similar to hissing cockroaches. Interestingly, I found an article about the nutritional value of a different species of crawfish that that found in Madagascar, however, I would think that the nutritional value would be similar.

Here is the link to the research article: http://nsgl.gso.uri.edu/aku/akuw90001/akuw90001_pt-5a.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjsr_z3r-DXAhUX82MKHQKzAtAQFggiMAA&usg=AOvVaw2_bISVEH37oKrVNAehCJ21

It's also noteworthy that if anyone has gone out to collect crawfish in the wild to eat themselves, that the claws are actually easily avoided. By picking them up by grabbing either side of the carapace, they cannot get you with their claws. Interestingly, this is similar to how I believe a Panther Chameleon would hit a crawfish with their tongue, in the area that is protected from the claws. Also due to the nervous system of a crawfish, this would very likely stun them upon the impact of the chameleon's tongue.

So I'm wondering if in the wild, at least for panther chameleons, if the crawfish serves as the source for some of its calcium. What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
Interesting thought. Of course a smaller crawfish would be best to try. I live in northeast Ohio right near Lake Erie and many of the healthier streams around me are home to crawfish. However I would be too nervous to feed one caught in the wild since it can carry disease and unwanted pathogens. Also, many streams nowadays are polluted so that would be a concern as well.

And I agree, but I'm just wondering if in wild populations this is in fact an occasional prey item.

Interesting thought. Of course a smaller crawfish would be best to try. I live in northeast Ohio right near Lake Erie and many of the healthier streams around me are home to crawfish. However I would be too nervous to feed one caught in the wild since it can carry disease and unwanted pathogens. Also, many streams nowadays are polluted so that would be a concern as well.

And actually the pollution would be the least of concerns, contrary to popular belief, most species of crawfish are indicators of good water quality, as they are very susceptible to pollutants.

I would be concerned with them choking on the shell and parasites. Knew someone who lost a chicken to a shrimp shell and chickens can eat anything. Pollution and parasites could be an issue also.

I would be concerned with them choking on the shell and parasites. Knew someone who lost a chicken to a shrimp shell and chickens can eat anything. Pollution and parasites could be an issue also.
Again, I'm talking about in wild populations, not in captivity.

They were likely talking about land dwelling crustaceans, like isopods. There are actually a few species of land dwelling insects-like crustaceans I just don't remember all of them. But isopods are definitely one they like, I raise mine as feeders.

I would imagine in the wild quite a few potential prey fights back. I would think a pinch in the eye would preclude me from conducting this experiment.
Chameleons also probably try to eat baby vipers in the wild too and regret it.

Yeah, like in a captivity setting, I will never feed my Panther Chameleon something like a crawfish, too risky. And as @Andee stated, most likely they were referring to isopods. However, in wild populations of Panther Chameleons, I wouldn't put it as an off the menu prey item. Although due to the nature of chameleons, finding an instance of a wild Panther Chameleon eating a crawfish without any human intervention would be difficult. I would be curious to find out if crawfish are a very occasional prey item in a wild Panther Chameleon's diet. The main reason is believe that crawfish are a potential prey item for wild Panther Chameleons is that chameleons are opportunistic hunters. Also due to the fact that it does not take much force to crush an adult crawfishes shell.

Back
Top Bottom