I was just browsing craigslist the other day and came across this guy! I didnt think i was going to get much more than the cham but boy was i wrong. [/IMG]
image-1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
image-3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
image-4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Now i was hoping to order a mistking to put in this enclosure but the bottom is just solid wood. Any ideas on how i can install some drainage? There is some room in the cabinets underneath.

To make the best use of it, you would have to put your cham back in the reptibreeze for a couple weeks. Tear the top of the cabinet off. Pull the horizontal divider board out. Replace with some sort of shower safe pvc material, that is angled inward towards center. Or use several (4) pieces of acrylic cut into angles forcing the water into one area to drain.Several threads on this site explaining how to do this. Install the drains. Place bucket(s) with(out) drain hoses underneath. Lacquer the whole thing to protect. Clear non toxic aquarium silicone the interior to keep leaks from mister to a minimum, if desired or also to protect wood. Would line over stapled screen pieces, with some sort of firring strips as protection and eye candy as well. Thing would pop!:eek:

I don't really have a saw to take out the bottom but that's what I'm pretty much expecting to do unless someone has an even better idea. Forgot to mention his name is Diego (18months), I'm keeping the name his previous family had given him.

I don't really have a saw to take out the bottom but that's what I'm pretty much expecting to do unless someone has an even better idea. Forgot to mention his name is Diego (18months), I'm keeping the name his previous family had given him.

Nice find! If it were me, I would not cut out the bottom but make a rectangle out of 2" wide, 3/4" strips of plywood that fits the bottom area tight. Before putting it in the bottom put PVC shower pan liner stapled across the top of the rectangle and trim with a razor knife. Drill a 2" hole in the center of the bottom of the cabinet. put the rectangle with pvc liner into place and cut a small x in the center lined up with the hole in the bottom center. get a drain from lowes with a threaded outside nut to tighten to the cabinet bottom from underneath. squeeze the drain into the small x and pull the pvc liner down as you tighten the retaining nut from underneat. this creates the slope needed for drainage. Trim out the bottom with some pvc trim and caulk to keep water from getting into the sides.

Nice find! If it were me, I would not cut out the bottom but make a rectangle out of 2" wide, 3/4" strips of plywood that fits the bottom area tight. Before putting it in the bottom put PVC shower pan liner stapled across the top of the rectangle and trim with a razor knife. Drill a 2" hole in the center of the bottom of the cabinet. put the rectangle with pvc liner into place and cut a small x in the center lined up with the hole in the bottom center. get a drain from lowes with a threaded outside nut to tighten to the cabinet bottom from underneath. squeeze the drain into the small x and pull the pvc liner down as you tighten the retaining nut from underneat. this creates the slope needed for drainage. Trim out the bottom with some pvc trim and caulk to keep water from getting into the sides.
So from what im getting is make a "trampoline" of sorts out of the pvc pan liner and bring down the middle by putting the drain through it? Seems pretty easy but i will have to make some modifications because the inside isnt exactly square. The door frame sticks inside the cage about 1'' on each side. Just ordered my mistking so ill play with some ideas before i set it up.
image-5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
would it work if i just used a shower curtain liner and just stapled it right to the frame of the cage about 1-2 inches up and do the same thing with the drain in the middle? and of course i would seal the liner on top with some silicone.

would it work if i just used a shower curtain liner and just stapled it right to the frame of the cage about 1-2 inches up and do the same thing with the drain in the middle? and of course i would seal the liner on top with some silicone.

Any method to keep the water from pooling up on the bottom will work. if it was a nice even rectangle my suggestion would work but I see what you mean by the irregular shape. You might follow the same instruction and just fill in the areas that dont get covered by the sloping bottom and overlap the pvc liner.

from what i see the pvc liner stuff is really expensive and i think i would waste most of it. i think may try a shower curtain liner... the only problem i may see is water getting in by the cork board and where i open the door.

Back
Top Bottom