Crabs...

Purple pinchers...strawberries..
Don't know anything about this place...don't forget I'm Canadian....
https://www.nature-gifts.com/shop/hermit-crabs/purple-pincher-hermit-crabs/
Thank you but I have purple pinchers aka Caribbean crabs-as many as I could ever desire. There are hundreds up for adoption and they sell at the dreaded Petco so unsuspecting kids can purchase, give the wrong husbandry, and kill them quickly, like our chameleons :(

I do like this quote from them:

Hermit Crabs Know How to Party​

(By party, they mean form up in gangs and totally rearrange the entire cage overnight, as owners of dumpy frogs will relate to.)

As far as strawberries, here is my Thermidor-you can see why I would like more:

Attachments

39.7 KB · Views: 95
@dinomom can/do you keep more than one species together? Do they fight?
Yes and no. I have purple pinchers (Caribbean) ruggies (Indian Ocean) and a strawberry (Australia) and they do fine. The big PP's are gentle giants usually. There is a small Ecuadorian species that can be very pissy to others, and they chirp when they are fighting-I used to have them but stay away from them now.

I really really want Indonesian (Brevimanus) and Purpurea from Japan which should also be ok-Brevi is aggressive but is more arboreal so would only rebuff someone coming onto their tree. These can sometimes be bought in Europe but I can't find a source :(

Just as chameleons, you really have to "live" with them to see their personalities, How is it that a crab, which is a glorified bug, can have different personalities? But they do. The littlest ruggie, whose shell is about one inch versus four inches for the jumbos, is the most adventurous of them all!

Thought she might mean that, I looked into breeding fiddlers for cuttlefish, but you need a pool for the larvae to circulate through.
OMG I love fiddlers...my aunt used to bring me a huge tub with them and their mud when she came from the beach. Sadly as a 10 year old I had no idea how to care for them and they would die.

OMG I love fiddlers...my aunt used to bring me a huge tub with them and their mud when she came from the beach. Sadly as a 10 year old I had no idea how to care for them and they would die.
Oh yeah I used to love seeing them at the beach. I kept them often too as a kid and they didn't make it. Have you ever kept any of the big land crabs, like halloween(I think they're called), another is patriot crabs I think(I think I heard these can even be somewhat tame)? Something about crabs is fascinating IMO.

Oh yeah I used to love seeing them at the beach. I kept them often too as a kid and they didn't make it. Have you ever kept any of the big land crabs, like halloween(I think they're called), another is patriot crabs I think(I think I heard these can even be somewhat tame)? Something about crabs is fascinating IMO.
I love the Hallowe'en Crabs, too, awesome colors. I asked about keeping them with hermits and was told not a good idea. And since it meant needing another enclosure I had to pass.

Just looked up Patriot Crab, gorgeous!

I think any crab can become pretty tame with food rewards-in their case the most effective is slightly off shellfish. At least I never have to throw shrimp peels into my trash...

First off, OP, I LOVE that you named one of your crabs Thermidor - that really made me chuckle this morning. Also, I used to live in St. John, USVI, and once at night I saw a bunch of land crabs from the safety of a vechicle (thankfully!!!). They were gigantic and very intimidating. Such a cool pet, thanks for the pics and I think I'll just live vicariously through you.

First off, OP, I LOVE that you named one of your crabs Thermidor - that really made me chuckle this morning. Also, I used to live in St. John, USVI, and once at night I saw a bunch of land crabs from the safety of a vechicle (thankfully!!!). They were gigantic and very intimidating. Such a cool pet, thanks for the pics and I think I'll just live vicariously through you.
Well....I did have 2 of the red ones, and the other one was called Newberg (as in Lobster..) 'Cuz they totally looked like delicious lobsters :)

If you liked seeing a gang of crabs, here is a must-see video. A herd of crabs lining up to swap shells. Once someone finds one, the others swarm in for a game of musical chairs.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...A63D6F6C5C5DA169FFB6A63&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Well....I did have 2 of the red ones, and the other one was called Newberg (as in Lobster..) 'Cuz they totally looked like delicious lobsters :)

If you liked seeing a gang of crabs, here is a must-see video. A herd of crabs lining up to swap shells. Once someone finds one, the others swarm in for a game of musical chairs.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...A63D6F6C5C5DA169FFB6A63&view=detail&FORM=VIRE
I just watched that video yesterday and it was adorable! Your post made me consider adding some hermit crabs to my menagerie, but anything that can live over 20 years might not be a good choice for a middle aged broad like me.

A name to keep in reserve: Appleton—the meanest villain that ever villed!

My name is Crabby Appleton and I am really awful It titillates me funny bone to do a deed unlawful I'm fond of gloom, impending doom, I think good deeds are sappy I laugh with glee, it pleases me when everyone's unhappy.

My name is Crabby Appleton, I'm rotten to the core I do a bad deed every day and sometimes three or four I can't stand fun for anyone, I think good deeds are sappy I laugh with glee, it pleases me when everyone's unhappy.

I just watched that video yesterday and it was adorable! Your post made me consider adding some hermit crabs to my menagerie, but anything that can live over 20 years might not be a good choice for a middle aged broad like me.
Well, I am an OLD broad
A name to keep in reserve: Appleton—the meanest villain that ever villed!

O.M.G. The original Gru! Don't know where you guys come up with this stuff :)

There are like hundreds (thousands?) of purple pinchers to adopt. That way you could get older ones (jumbo) if you wanted and maybe they only have 10 years left LOL.

The problem is that the adoption agency makes you jump through a lot of hoops to get them and you might have to have habitat all set up and approved before they give you access to the list. (They insist on proper husbandry just as we do here for chams). Of course I know you would do it perfectly but I understand that they do not "know" people who apply.

Failing that, I am sure you can find some on Craigslist that you could rescue since lots of kids get them and then ignore them.

https://www.facebook.com/HermitCrabAdoptions/

Back
Top Bottom