Crabs...

The problem is that the adoption agency makes you jump through a lot of hoops to get them and you might have to have habitat all set up and approved before they give you access to the list.
It's as bad or worse with dogs. We tried some rescues at one time, and they tried to make us sign a contract that basically said they continued legal ownership and could take the dog back at any time for any reason. Even the local Humane Society wouldn't adopt large breeds unless you could prove your house sat on over an acre. No exceptions. Good luck for apartment dwellers. You could literally live next door to a dog park, but if your lot was .99 acre—no dog.

They pretty much drove people to breeders—one way or another.

There are like hundreds (thousands?) of purple pinchers to adopt. That way you could get older ones (jumbo) if you wanted and maybe they only have 10 years left LOL.

The problem is that the adoption agency makes you jump through a lot of hoops to get them and you might have to have habitat all set up and approved before they give you access to the list. (They insist on proper husbandry just as we do here for chams). Of course I know you would do it perfectly but I understand that they do not "know" people who apply.

Failing that, I am sure you can find some on Craigslist that you could rescue since lots of kids get them and then ignore them.

https://www.facebook.com/HermitCrabAdoptions/
Yes! Older ones would be perfect! I’m always afraid that if I get an animal that will potentially outlive me, what will happen to it. Guess I’ve got some learning to do. 🤗 Any sites you can recommend for correct care guidelines?

Yes! Older ones would be perfect! I’m always afraid that if I get an animal that will potentially outlive me, what will happen to it. Guess I’ve got some learning to do. 🤗 Any sites you can recommend for correct care guidelines?
Here you go:

http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=120&t=119273

They are actually like our chams in a way in terms of maintenance-it's getting everything set up and dialed in in the beginning that is tricky. IE getting the tank to stabilize. (Because I have made every mistake in the book at some point or other I am expert at telling you what NOT to do :)

For example I just did my crab care for the week. Which is: remove food dishes to dishwasher and replace food. Remove regular and salt water and replace from my one gallon jugs of it. Done. During the week I will toss in some pieces of greens, veg etc. especially if it is getting old. But really there are great homemade foods out there that are very nutritious so that part can be skipped as it is messier.

https://www.hermitcrabpatch.com/Pet-Hermit-Crab-Foods-And-Treats-s/3.htm

I spend $100 every 6 or 8 mos (so I get free shipping) and then I am set. For one or two crabs it would last a year or more.

PS the best part-hermit crabs spray their urine into the air, where it dissipates and has no smell. The poops are little curlicues that break down in a day or two into the substrate-again NO smell. On dry days I like to stick my head in and take a big inhale; it smells just like a humid day at the beach. Only animal I know of where there is no poop patrol :)

And you can watch them after your chams go to bed!

It's as bad or worse with dogs. We tried some rescues at one time, and they tried to make us sign a contract that basically said they continued legal ownership and could take the dog back at any time for any reason. Even the local Humane Society wouldn't adopt large breeds unless you could prove your house sat on over an acre. No exceptions. Good luck for apartment dwellers. You could literally live next door to a dog park, but if your lot was .99 acre—no dog.

They pretty much drove people to breeders—one way or another.
Even with my crab setup, I almost didn't make the cut! They made me change my entire substrate because there was a spot of algae.

The bird rescues as bad as the dog ones; can't own any candles, ceiling fans or teflon, etc etc. They just can't accept that there are actually responsible pet adopters out there. You are right, it is sad.

So far everything I’m reading is talking about fake plants. Can’t live plants be used?
Yes if you are a nursery owner.

LOL-you have NO idea of the destructive nature of these kids. After they eat them (overnight) they will pull them from the pots, clip off all the roots, and pile all the pots on top of each other so they can climb on the ceiling.

On a more serious note, there aren't many plants that like 24/7 80 degrees and 80% humidity (no real night drop here). I tried it for a long time and finally gave in to the plastic.

LOL-you have NO idea of the destructive nature of these kids. After they eat them (overnight) they will pull them from the pots, clip off all the roots, and pile all the pots on top of each other so they can climb on the ceiling.

On a more serious note, there aren't many plants that like 24/7 80 degrees and 80% humidity (no real night drop here). I tried it for a long time and finally gave in to the plastic.
Busy little guys! :ROFLMAO: Until I started reading about them, I always thought they just kind of placidly crawled around. Learning how active they are is what’s piqued my interest in them.

PS the best part-hermit crabs spray their urine into the air, where it dissipates and has no smell. The poops are little curlicues that break down in a day or two into the substrate-again NO smell. On dry days I like to stick my head in and take a big inhale; it smells just like a humid day at the beach. Only animal I know of where there is no poop patrol :)
They say sense of smell is gone by age 60. :LOL:

On a more serious note, there aren't many plants that like 24/7 80 degrees and 80% 30% humidity (no real night drop here). I tried it for a long time and finally gave in to the plastic.
I was told the exact same thing (different humidity level) when I revealed my plans to include live plants only in my beardie box! :LOL:

I showed them... I grew 6 of everything! 😜

I was told the exact same thing (different humidity level) when I revealed my plans to include live plants only in my beardie box! :LOL:

I showed them... I grew 6 of everything! 😜
Yes, but didn’t Ol’ Stinkeye then proceed to eat 6 of everything? Spike only has a pothos and a snake plant. The pothos gets trampled and the snake plant has been climbed once.

I know you meant crab care (it feels so weird typing that... "crab care"... :unsure: ), but...

what if your pets outlive you? is something we all need to consider— 💩 happens.
She got me thinking about that again as well! For many of us, our spouse if we have one has no clue about our animals and may not really care. The thing is age does not matter, any of us could be hit by a car tomorrow. I have a document that has instructions and a little $ in it for my birds with adopters all lined up. I was thinking I need to give some sort of instructions regarding the chams. Maybe if nothing else leave my user name and this forum to put a post and see if anyone wanted to jump in and adopt. Anyone have anything set up you can suggest?

She got me thinking about that again as well! For many of us, our spouse if we have one has no clue about our animals and may not really care. The thing is age does not matter, any of us could be hit by a car tomorrow. I have a document that has instructions and a little $ in it for my birds with adopters all lined up. I was thinking I need to give some sort of instructions regarding the chams. Maybe if nothing else leave my user name and this forum to put a post and see if anyone wanted to jump in and adopt. Anyone have anything set up you can suggest?
Sorry to bring up the dreary. When Covid first struck, I wrote up care sheets for my reptiles and instructions to reach out to the forum and my coworkers for any possible adopters. Thankfully, it wasn’t needed.

Sorry to bring up the dreary. When Covid first struck, I wrote up care sheets for my reptiles and instructions to reach out to the forum and my coworkers for any possible adopters. Thankfully, it wasn’t needed.
OK to get us back on track here is where Thermidor is "hiding" right now :)

Attachments

• Thermidor hiding.jpg
    Thermidor hiding.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 93
Back
Top Bottom