COVID-19 feeder shortage

BXtine07

Ok, so I have a female juvenile veiled that loves to eat. I have not started any feeder colonies/breeding but am realizing that i need to. Currently she eats crickets, superworms, mealworms, waxworms, which is the extent of my local pet stores. Lately they have been out of crickets or ive had to buy large crickets which i prefer not to do. She eats other things occasionally when i have her outside; plants, bees, a wasp once, fruit flies etc. Anyways, i bought storage bins with the intent to use them for feeders, I am in FL so I've discovered there will be no Dubias and have been looking into Discoids, seems to be out of stock when ive attempted to purchase. I'm trying to get some staples going so i dont have to rely on the pet stores. I have never bred insects, so easy staples to start with would be nice. Any advice or links would be appreciated. (I know she shouldnt be eating mealworms, superworms, waxworms as staples and have been offering crickets mainly, but am resorting to them for variety) i do dust her food with reptivite and calcium. I am going to wait for responses before i pull the trigger on ordering. Also my husband is not excited about breeding bugs that will escape ?. I assured him i will do my best to keep them where they belong. (He's a big chicken). Thank you for any help/direction you can give me.

Hi BXtine07,
I think there are plenty of online retailers that have different kinds of feeders that can ship to FL. My website, www.morifeeders.com, sells silkworms which can be used as a staple feeder for your chameleon. There are many other websites that offer other feeders too! Just look around a bit. PM me if you need some help getting some silkworms ;)

Hi BXtine07,
I think there are plenty of online retailers that have different kinds of feeders that can ship to FL. My website, www.morifeeders.com, sells silkworms which can be used as a staple feeder for your chameleon. There are many other websites that offer other feeders too! Just look around a bit. PM me if you need some help getting some silkworms ;)
Breeding silkworms seems a little intimidating starting off, but I definitely intend to introduce them! I get frustrated because i get ready to buy her feeders then see "does not ship to fl" or "out of stock" lol. Being on a stay at home order i feel like i should take advantage of having extra time to get a system in place for her. (And refinish an entire bedroom suite apparently, gahh..I am not made for being stuck at home lol)

I live in FL and haven’t had any problems getting feeders. I have 3 babies, one adult and have been getting crickets from Ghann’s and fruit flies from Josh’s frogs and PetCo. Silk worms are a great staple feeder. @Spyro has great silks and @jamest0o0 has great discoids. (I prefer roaches over crickets lol)
Seems to be a matter of knowing exactly where to go I've noticed. Once i get the discoids going im hoping to use crickets very minimally. 3 out of 4 pet stores by my house were out the past week. I try to use the small business over petco etc. but they are limited for reptile supplies, great for my husband's fish though. I've referenced this forum for pretty much anything i needed regarding my chameleon. Lits of good information and experienced owners so im very grateful to have found it. I've been a fly on the wall for a couple months now before becoming a member lol.

I have had no issues with rainbow mealworms subscription service. I am raising silkworms myself too
I use them also. No issues with them at all. Postal service has been subpar but its not their fault. They have not run out of crickets yet at all. And their roaches are very viable.

Hi BXtine07,
If my Cham is 4 months what size should I order? Exsmall or small? Thank you

My local reptile / fish stores stock crickets & all food they always have, no shortage in california

My local reptile / fish stores stock crickets & all food they always have, no shortage in california
All of my local chains and small pet stores have been selling out within a day or two of their shipments. I'm on the gulf coast of FL. I have ADD ordering online, but thats definitely my best route lol.

Superworms are easy to rear.
I am interested in raising superworms, but after i get some staples going. I just learned that the chitin is really good for keeping pests away in the garden so it would do double duty for me. I have lots of succulents and other plants that i spray because of mealybugs. Fascinating stuff.

Awesome! Thank you. I’ll be ordering soon! How long is the order takes and when is the best day to order?
We ship Monday- (12pm Eastern)Wednesday for live orders. We generally can ship same day as the order is placed as long as it is M-W. Thanks for your business, it is highly appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom