Couple newbie questions

hagan

Hello, I bought my first veiled chameleon 6 days ago, and would like to ask some
common questions just to make sure I'm taking care of him like I should. I'm not very sure how old he is, but I was told he's like 7-8 months old. I bought him a Reptibreeze screen cage sized 24x24x48, and put a lots of plants in there, real and fake ones, but none of them are poisonous. He has a basking spot (Exoterra intense basking spot 100w) that he likes to spend time at, its 91,4F is it too hot? And uvb is Reptiglo 5.0 26w. I mist often because I'm worried of his hydration, I've seen him drink only few times from dripper. Maybe he drinks when
I'm not around? And I feed him small crickets that I have gutloaded with fresh vegetables. I have given him 7 crickets/ day, dusted in calcium. Is it too much?
And hey how do you guys use the dripper? I'm little confused with it because I dont know where is the best place for it and when I should use it and how much and stuff.
Well, that's all I had in mind I think...:) I appreciate all answers!!

Hello, I bought my first veiled chameleon 6 days ago, and would like to ask some
common questions just to make sure I'm taking care of him like I should. I'm not very sure how old he is, but I was told he's like 7-8 months old. I bought him a Reptibreeze screen cage sized 24x24x48, and put a lots of plants in there, real and fake ones, but none of them are poisonous. He has a basking spot (Exoterra intense basking spot 100w) that he likes to spend time at, its 91,4F is it too hot? And uvb is Reptiglo 5.0 26w. I mist often because I'm worried of his hydration, I've seen him drink only few times from dripper. Maybe he drinks when
I'm not around? And I feed him small crickets that I have gutloaded with fresh vegetables. I have given him 7 crickets/ day, dusted in calcium. Is it too much?
And hey how do you guys use the dripper? I'm little confused with it because I dont know where is the best place for it and when I should use it and how much and stuff.
Well, that's all I had in mind I think...:) I appreciate all answers!!

Welcome to the chameleon world :) there amazing animals.
With hydration I would only worry if his eyes sink in and if his poo starts turning yellow instead of white, it should be white with brown, if yellow instead of white hes dehydrated and needs more water. His/Her eyes will also start to sink in, chameleons have valves in there eyes that store water so when there dehydrated there eyes sink in. With the dipper, he might not be used to it at first but will learn, what I do is drip it in front of them or on there plant and they will lick it of the leaves or mine will just drink it strait from the air. Once he gets used to it he will learn to just drink as soon as he sees it, with crickets 7 seems good I feed mine 10-20 super worms every other day but there adults. Calcium is a must for him he will need to have calcium without d3 with every meal and calcium with d3 twice a month i do mine every other week. Without the proper calcium he can get metallic bone disease and it can get bad fast.

If you ever have any other questions you can always pm me :)

Thank you! :) Yes, they are indeed!
His eyes seem like normal, so I guess he's hydrated then :) But there are so many plants in the terrarium that I can't see any droppings? Not even on the floor. He's eating normally though. How often should the cage be cleaned? Yeah I have the d3 vitamin but havent given it yet to him, does he need any other supplements than calcium and calcium+d3?
I have heard of that disease, and I really dont want him to suffer, instead I want to give him as good life as I can! :)

Thank you! :) Yes, they are indeed!
His eyes seem like normal, so I guess he's hydrated then :) But there are so many plants in the terrarium that I can't see any droppings? Not even on the floor. He's eating normally though. How often should the cage be cleaned? Yeah I have the d3 vitamin but havent given it yet to him, does he need any other supplements than calcium and calcium+d3?
I have heard of that disease, and I really dont want him to suffer, instead I want to give him as good life as I can! :)

mine poo once or twice a week so I wouldn't worry. he will poo more since hes a baby maybe once a day or every other day as he ages he will poo less. You can give him multivitamins but I only do calcium and d3

mine poo once or twice a week so I wouldn't worry. he will poo more since hes a baby maybe once a day or every other day as he ages he will poo less. You can give him multivitamins but I only do calcium and d3
I just found a fresh dropping with white part :) thanks a lot for help, now I know a little more ^^

I just found a fresh dropping with white part :) thanks a lot for help, now I know a little more ^^

yay :) means hes not dehydrated. as silly as it sounds poo can tell you a lot about a animal I always look over all my pets poo's xD

yay :) means hes not dehydrated. as silly as it sounds poo can tell you a lot about a animal I always look over all my pets poo's xD
Haha :) im very reliefed :D but yeah its true if the poo looks strange then something is wrong with the animal. Same with chameleons, why didn't I realise this sooner? :D

Back
Top Bottom