Could use help and guidance - new veiled owner with new rescue

Soon as we can get back to the store this weekend. It was on the list of things I wanted to pick up but I forgot it. Story of my life! :LOL:

Extremely pinworm load! Calling back with a weight on her and will be getting the meds on Monday.

Uh... how do I give meds to a cham? I've never had to medicate a reptile before. (Cats I can do sleepwalking.)

Well at least you know what's going on. He will probably give you some Panacur which you will give her in a dosing syringe according to her weight. I like to inject the food and let them take it that way, but it will depend on the viscosity of the meds. Good luck, and if you haven't dosed with a syringe before make sure the vet shows you how to read it properly.

I've been doing cat rescue for 13 years, so know my way around that stuff blindfolded. We always have panacur on hand. Just want a vet to do the dosing since my last concussion has made math a little difficult and I don't want to screw it up. I've got needled syringes here I can use if they supply feeding tips instead.

My only concern with dosing her food is that she's still missing food items and she's gotten weird about eating in front of me. Think it would be safe to skip food tomorrow so she'd be more likely to eat on Monday? She freaks out completely if I try to offer something directly. I didn't know they could get dark spots that quickly...

Personally if it were me I would feed her every time she will it she needs the strength. If your worried about the feeders not getting ate I would just give it directly to her she will more than likely only need about two doses anyway. I'm sure the vet will give you advice on what is the best way. Good luck. :)

I usually medicated a chameleon by gentle wedging a syringe with a flexible or softer tip into the side of their mouth, I get it just so it opens to their gums and then I push the plunger so I paint their gums with the meds and they are forced to naturally swallow it, it's an easy way to avoid aspiration. However it can sometimes bruise their lips where you are opening their mouth.

I've realized as long as you aren't severely damaging their mouth, like cutting or something, switching sides on occasion will stop it from bruising too much and it is generally a safer way to go about it in my honest opinion. As long as you use a softer tipped syringe it shouldn't bruise her.

I've got flexible nozzle tips, so we're good there!

BTW - she's up in weight 11 grams from when I got her home!! She also nearly put holes in my pinky from when I got her out to weigh her, so a lot more strength. :D

Took a couple of days to get the meds - hubby forgot them on his desk. Got her dewormed this morning. Was not expecting such a tiny amount! I was worried for nothing. Last time I used fenben on a cat, one dose took three full syringes. (Thankfully the cat wasn't a fighter.) Tiny animals have perks!

Anyway, I held off on the superworms for two days to make her want them more, and then injected the worm directly. It was paralyzed so I used two mealworms to make noise in the cup, and she came running over and gulped it down immediately. That was the easiest thing ever!

She was also missing the supers so much that she crawled over and grabbed onto the dusting cup and was chowing down before I could get them transferred into her feeding cup. Yep, apparently I am no threat at all. :LOL:

I do worry about misting her though. She HATES it. Runs away and gets spots every time. I know she probably needs to have it, but I feel guilty every freaking time.

You don't necessarily have to mist her directly if she doesn't like it. Just mist near her?

I've been trying that, doing it under her to make the plant wet. Even the sound makes her panic and she seems to be figuring out what the actual sprayer means now as well as she spotted up when I picked it up. I don't think her enclosure has ever been sprayed before! I'm hoping it's something she can learn to tolerate over time. I've been keeping her dripper running as much as I can, 9-10 hours if I'm up during the day. (Mostly nocturnal myself. She's got me getting my schedule in order because unlike the others she can only be taken care of in daylight.) My husband is going to make sure it's filled before work and I'm going to try to work out something bigger so it runs for longer.

Thank you!

I feel very lucky that she's so tame. I've been reading everything on the forums lately and I've realized that I've lucked out that she's not scared or nasty. She half-heatedly hisses sometimes when I climb up the stepladder and get at eye level with her (no color change or movement so I don't think she means much by it), and she makes these weird squeaking noises when I'm not looking at her, but for the most part she seems pretty fearless.

...Until she hears/sees my husband. Poor guy. Even my cats don't really like him!

Awww I feel bad for your husband, get some hornworms or silkworms to hand him and she will be his best friend soon enough lol XD she seems like a worm gal. She looks amazing Wode, just great, from that bag of bones and dehydrated thing you brought home, to what she is now. She shows no weakness in her limbs from the MBD and is definitely on her way to recovery. <3 It's so awe-inspiring when they turn around like that. It makes me get goose bumps XD. Though she probably still has a way to go with the MBD recovery she's definitely got a great start. I can't wait to see her in a few months from now when she's feeling 100%. Then she'll be an even more amazing little miracle. <3 You two are so lucky to have each other, just wait and see how much she lights up your life.

I'm already completely hooked - I am NOT a morning person. Never have been. But I find myself up and eagerly waiting until 9:30 when the lights click on - because yes, after six years I went out and bought timers for every single light in that room just so she'd be comfortable - and then I run in to get her dripper going and get her breakfast. I think my snakes are starting to feel a little left out, but I'm not dealing with their stinky butts that early. :ROFLMAO: (And as a bonus, I'm actually seeing the rescued toad up and about, so the set daylight is helping everything in there.)

She's not super thin, is she? To me, a ribby animal is underweight since I started with mammals, but from what I'm seeing around the forums and how they puff themselves up she doesn't seem all that severe? I'm trying to get a sense of how much more she should be gaining. I know there are no weight charts which is making it more difficult. At least with the geckos I had a goal in mind!

I would say somewhere around 120 grams is a nice a weight, though she may need more weight on her than even that, shoot for a 120 grams, first, because I know she should probably weigh at least that, she's not all that small in length. She's not super skinny but she does need weight on her.

Uh, any good way to know if it's egg laying time? She's gotten pretty wide when viewed from underneath. Enough to make me pause and wonder this morning. Considering she had no heat or food the last two times she laid eggs for the previous owner I have no doubt she'll just keep right on going no matter what I do here. (She'd been housed next to a male Panther with no visual block between, which might have been the trigger.)

She will become fuller looking "never call a pregnant female fat" If she wants to lay eggs she will become restless, and fiddle around near the bottom of her enclosure. Sometimes they may start to display more vivid colors especially if she has been bred.

Back
Top Bottom