Could I use a cuttlebone to provide calcium to my cham?

Cornholio

So a cuttlebone is a thing used to provide calcium to birds. I currently don't have any calcium without d3 for my cham so could I use a cuttlebone? Like if I were to grind it up into powder do you think it would provide calcium? If you want to know it's ingredients or whatever just go to petsmart.com and look at a cuttlebone

I believe I've read on here it can harm them via abrasions and they definitely won't naw on it so no you need a supplement.

"Cuttlebone" is bone from a marine fish, so it is primarily calcium carbonate. Cage birds such as parakeets need a calcium source especially if they are laying eggs. Also look for cage bird "mineral blocks" which are probably calcium from terrestrial mine sources, not fish. Either way, the birds gnaw on it, but the cham's wouldn't, so you'd have to grind it up into a fine powder (I've done it...used a file, hammer and chisel, or a Dremel grinding wheel). The one concern with overusing a marine fish bone might be mercury contamination...just how much of a worry would depend on where the fish was caught, and I doubt you can get that info from any source. In a pinch I doubt it would be a problem, but I would look for a "terrestrial" calcium product for the long haul.

"Cuttlebone" is bone from a marine fish, so it is primarily calcium carbonate. Cage birds such as parakeets need a calcium source especially if they are laying eggs. Also look for cage bird "mineral blocks" which are probably calcium from terrestrial mine sources, not fish. Either way, the birds gnaw on it, but the cham's wouldn't, so you'd have to grind it up into a fine powder (I've done it...used a file, hammer and chisel, or a Dremel grinding wheel). The one concern with overusing a marine fish bone might be mercury contamination...just how much of a worry would depend on where the fish was caught, and I doubt you can get that info from any source. In a pinch I doubt it would be a problem, but I would look for a "terrestrial" calcium product for the long haul.
Thank you!

Tums is also calcium carbonate and so are the majority of calcium supplements, though read the label some are calcium citrate and/or contain Vit D. They probably could be ground up and used short term in a pinch if needed.

How about crushing a calcium/vitamin D pill for humans? Dust a bit of the powder on his food.

My thinking here is that most pills for human consumption will be "man-made" and not as readily used by the animal, or humans for that matter. You'd be better off with a natural source.

Just buy repashy and do it daily and be done with it... it's like 20$ alot of people here who know there stuff swear by it and it has had great results for me.

Attachments

• 1473717986174373301771.jpg
    1473717986174373301771.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 176
Just buy repashy and do it daily and be done with it... it's like 20$ alot of people here who know there stuff swear by it and it has had great results for me.
So with this you don't need to do the multi vitamin every 2 weeks, or the calcium with D3 every 2 weeks?

Back
Top Bottom