Could I have a ceiling fan in my room?

Barson

I have Marvin’s cage in my room and wanted to know if he would get cold if I have a ceiling fan installed.

I have one in the room with my enclosure. It is not on very high, and doesn't blow directly into the space. The thing I would worry about is an enclosure drying out because of the airflow.

Hes cold blooded. You could blow 200mph wind onto a room temp cham, and he would stay the same temp.

I have had a ceiling fan in the reptile room for 30 years, no problems. Plus all the jackson chameleons in hawaii have to deal with 20-30mph trade winds all there lives, and they are thriving.

As decadancin said, things will dry out faster, but if its a closed system (door shut and window shut) that means humidity will increase.

Hes cold blooded. You could blow 200mph wind onto a room temp cham, and he would stay the same temp.

I have had a ceiling fan in the reptile room for 30 years, no problems. Plus all the jackson chameleons in hawaii have to deal with 20-30mph trade winds all there lives, and they are thriving.

As decadancin said, things will dry out faster, but if its a closed system (door shut and window shut) that means humidity will increase.
Thanks a lot man I was just trying to be safe!

I was just thinking the same about having a fan in my room. In the northeast U.S. it is transitioning into fall where it's not cold enough for heat and not hot enough for air conditioning but some days it gets pretty hot. Good to know that the fans will not have an impact on the chameleon.

@nightanole, can't a fan affect the ambient temp? Is it just the chameleons basking temps that would be unaffected?

Edit: Thinking through this more, I guess it shouldn't since a fan is only pushing the same temperature air and in no way cooling it. Humans get the cooling benefit since we are not cold blooded and it is evaporating sweat faster.

Last edited:
I was just thinking the same about having a fan in my room. In the northeast U.S. it is transitioning into fall where it's not cold enough for heat and not hot enough for air conditioning but some days it gets pretty hot. Good to know that the fans will not have an impact on the chameleon.

@nightanole, can't a fan affect the ambient temp? Is it just the chameleons basking temps that would be unaffected?

A fan could have more effect on humidity. We feel cooler with a fan due to multiple reasons, but often it is a cooling effect on our skin combined with sweat evaporating.

I have a ceiling fan on in the room with my Jackson's, personally I think it's good for air flow.

Back
Top Bottom