Cost of raising 69 baby Veileds...

Wow, somebody really needs to start breeding their own feeders! :eek: That's pretty much your whole costs there. That must have been easily 25,000 crix just from Lucky Lure! I can't wait till my Dubia & Turkistan colonies are fully going!

We breed our own crix but were still not prepared for the volume required, and so had to supplement with purchases of crickets. We are better prepared now for our next batch of chams, but I believe we will still be purchasing adult crix for our adult chams and for producing eggs for more babies. Plus a big breeding operation, with all the different sizes separated into their own bins, and egg incubating, etc., takes up a lot of space.

And yes, we do have spiders, lots of them. Of all shapes and sizes.

We also breed dubias and a few other bugs :).

You know...It's all worth it when you hatch something that looks like this! :):):)
DSCN3260.jpg

DSCN3261.jpg

DSCN3262.jpg

That is AJ-one of the babies that I am keeping! I took these just a little while ago-he is also super mellow just like his Dad!

The babies will be a year old in a month. I still have 1 female and 3 males-1 male because he is stunning, one female to start another generation, and 2 males that had health issues-leg breaks that have healed and one guy that is an interesting but seemingly healthy mutant.
I love that this thread gets used so often-it is a good example of what you are in for if you breed.
I have a clutch of Nosy Panthers getting ready to hatch. Due to time constraints between my job and teenagers, I really try to space out clutches-a year is a good "space"! :) I do constantly hatch out pygmys. This year I will have most of the equipment to get started minus the UVB bulb and paper towels. I have been sustaining fruit fly cultures now so no need to purchase those-and the Nosy clutch that will hatch first is 30 eggs and the one that was laid 3 months later is about 30 eggs-a much easier venture than 69 Veileds that eat like nothing I have ever seen.
It was totally worth it-just make sure you are prepared and have plenty of $!

Congrats on having a nice sized clutch. It gets expensive when you add it all up. Not to mention the waiting game for them to hatch. I like spiders, I have a avicularia versicolor tarantula and I found a black widow in my house and thought it was very neat. So I put it in a little acrylic vivarium. Maybe it was after my 12000 pin heads. Any way nice thread it keeps people informed of the financial demand these chams require to breed. Take care!

Back
Top Bottom