Correct UV lighting

Melly2411

Hi all...so I’m a total novice to owning a chameleon, due to rescuing one with a complete set up. He wasn’t in a very nice place so I had him. I’m wanting the best for him so need some help please :) So he’s in an Exo Terra Vivarium with mesh on the top, the lighting unit holds an Exo Terra Reptiglo 10.0 26w uv bulb. Its on the outside of the mesh, not too high up, he has plenty of foliage also with plenty of exposed areas for basking. Is this uv light ok as it was recommended by someone who has kept chameleons for years and had no problems with this bulb...but others say they’re no good. He’s a panther chameleon, around 5-7 months old and I’m not sure on the sex to be honest...but he’s called Jeff. So I’d really be grateful for any advice. Thanks (y)

This is Jeff

Attachments

• 9DB499C4-16A2-4C3D-B9AD-6CC14AE7124A.jpeg
    9DB499C4-16A2-4C3D-B9AD-6CC14AE7124A.jpeg
    240.7 KB · Views: 58
It depends. How big is your cage? Do you have any pictures so we can see how heavily planted it is?
If the bulb is older than six months it will need to be replaced.

Hi JacksJill, the bulb was new this morning as I wasn’t sure how old the other one was. I’ve included a picture.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 79
I have to run right now hopefully some one else will pick this up with you or I'll drop back in in a couple hours.

That is a lot of uvb light for a cage that height but it can be managed. To make it work don't exceed 12 hours on per day, put more plants up high to screen the light, and ad some lower branches so s/he has a comfortable place to retreat to when he's had enough UVB. If you find him/her with closed eyes during the day in the next few days with changes mentioned then consider getting a 5.0 instead. Jeff will like having more cover up top and more horizontal branches either way
If you are going to use a 10.0 bulb usually it is in a 2x2x4 ft. cage that is heavily planted.
Here is the care sheet for some other details you might need. https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/panther/
Ps. If Jeff is a girl she will need a laying bin soon.

That is a lot of uvb light for a cage that height but it can be managed. To make it work don't exceed 12 hours on per day, put more plants up high to screen the light, and ad some lower branches so s/he has a comfortable place to retreat to when he's had enough UVB. If you find him/her with closed eyes during the day in the next few days with changes mentioned then consider getting a 5.0 instead. Jeff will like having more cover up top and more horizontal branches either way
If you are going to use a 10.0 bulb usually it is in a 2x2x4 ft. cage that is heavily planted.
Here is the care sheet for some other details you might need. https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/panther/
Ps. If Jeff is a girl she will need a laying bin soon.
So just bulk the top half of the tank more? Since I put a new bulb in she’s been quite active today and it definitely won’t be on longer than 12 hours. Thanks for the advice...I’ll get some more plants.

Back
Top Bottom