Correct this if needed

eppcheck

http://library.thinkquest.org/5726/fourhorns.html

I've been doing some research on Four Horned Chameleons and this "care" sheet says and I quote "This species of chameleon is unique because two males will gladly share one captive habitat, as with other species the males will constantly fight."

This can't be true from what I've been reading from other sources. Unless they had a huge enclosure.

http://www.reptilechannel.com/lizards/lizard-species/four-horned-chameleons.aspx

I often hear people say they keep their quads together with no adverse effects. That is until they report back on a female mysteriously dying, getting a nasty respiratory infection or refusing to eat. This often occurs with chameleons trapped in stressful situations. Whether you plan to house your chameleon indoors or outdoors, remember C. quadricornis is a shy, reclusive creature. Housing four-horned chameleons separately is highly recommended.

But then, this site http://www.habitatdesigns.tv/repcare/species/4horn2.html says:
While most male chameleons will be upset at the site of another male of the same species, we have discovered that male Four-Horned Chameleons readily accept another male living in the same enclosure. However, the enclosure must be large enough so if there is any stress between the two, it will be minimized. We have kept pairs of male Four-Horned Chameleons together in cages that are 5' tall by 3' wide by 1.5' deep, with a lot of foliage.

I think I'd go with "better safe than sorry" and keep them apart. I'm sure there are people here experienced with the species who'll have more insight.

Yes, I agree. I wouldn't keep two together even if I had a large enough enclosure. I think an experience keeper would be able to recognize any health/stress issues and adjust accordingly. I'm not at that level yet, but was just curious if this was true.

Thanks for the info.

I have a very large enclosure with a male and a female together, before there was another female but she died after laying her eggs but even with 3 they were doing well together. I also noticed this with my montiums, they seem to get along better then for instance a couple of veileds or panthers, unless you have a HUGE enclosure. If you can't provide enough space for more than 1 chameleon I would also suggest to not put them together and I would certainly not suggest to but males together, they will be fighting about the female (if one is involved) and deliver a very stress-ful and even dangerous environment.

Eszzie...it could very well be that your female died from the stress of the other chameleons being in her cage....unless she was very old or had a physical issue.

While pairs can be housed relatively successfully, I would not recommend housing two male T. quadricornis in the same enclosure.

Luis

Co-habitation needs to start early. Putting two adults together who are not used to sharing will almost certainly start a fight. Chameleons that have shared space from a younger age will more likely learn to live with each other.

A hierarchy will be established with the less dominant chameleon learning to give the more dominant one space, moving out the way when they meet on the same branch etc.

However things always get a bit heated around mating time or when females are uncomfortably full of young. They really need the ability to find their own space during these times so providing a LARGE space is essential.

Back
Top Bottom