Correct supplements

He has high D3 levels, too?
The results didn't go too in depth whether it included d3 or not, I think it was just overall calcium levels and my vet wanted to bring them down. However I noticed the Calcium Plus includes D3 so I'm not sure if it would be overkill to just use this supplement twice weekly or if I should stick to calcium without d3 maybe twice a week and the Calcium Plus twice monthly.

What's so sad about it miss no it all???
Okay, wow, I'm not sure why you're trying to instigate issues on this thread with James and I, but saying the cham has MBD and then saying if signs aren't showing, that he'll be going downhill for not being treated, even though bone density was normal on the x-rays and he had too much calcium even though MBD is caused by too little

You might like to read this...
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/swollen-casque.182275/

Concerning supplements...I have for years dusted lightly with Rep-Cal phos free calcium at every feeding but two a month. One those 2 feedings, I alternate between Rep-Cal phos free calcium/D3 powder lightly and herptivite vitamin powder lightly dusted on the insects. Be aware that this vitamin lacks orEformed vitamin A.

More to follow.

Sorry but I'm not arguing with anyone. Also your wrong about what you just said. Please reread. I'm a man im not going to argue. If you would like to call me instead of messaging I can offer my phone number. Your taking it wrong lighten up. SMILE!

Calcium requires D3 in order to be absorbed into the system.
Vitamin A is somewhat antagonistic to the vitamin D3 so it plays a part in bone health indirectly too. Calcium, phos, D3 and vitamin A need to be in balance for good bone health. Unless you are really overdoing the D3 I don't think that there should be too much calcium. I'm not sure it makes any sense to stop the calcium but not adjust the D3 as well. I'm not a vet through...

Supplements...you many want to read these...
http://www.chameleonnews.com/07FebWheelock.html

Scan down to the articles on vitamin D, calcium and vitamin A...
http://www.geckosunlimited.com/comm...ard-gecko-care-sheet-geckos-unlimited-10.html

http://www.chameleonnews.com/02MayDonoghue.html

Last edited:
@TayloredExotics said... "My reasoning is that once they've reached adult size, they're no longer using Ca to build bones/continuing development. Nor do they need additional Ca for forming shells the way females do" ...they may not be growing bones, but they still need the balance of the calcium to the phos to be there for bone health...so IMHO most insects need to be dusted with calcium to maintain this balance. Also, bones are in a constant state of turnover/renewal.

Calcium requires D3 in order to be absorbed into the system.
Vitamin A is somewhat antagonistic to the vitamin D3 so it plays a part in bone health indirectly too. Calcium, phos, D3 and vitamin A need to be in balance for good bone health. Unless you are really overdoing the D3 I don't think that there should be too much calcium. I'm not sure it makes any sense to stop the calcium but not adjust the D3 as well. I'm not a vet through...

Supplements...you many want to read these...
http://www.chameleonnews.com/07FebWheelock.html

Scan down to the articles on vitamin D, calcium and vitamin A...
http://www.geckosunlimited.com/comm...ard-gecko-care-sheet-geckos-unlimited-10.html

http://www.chameleonnews.com/02MayDonoghue.html
Thank you! So you're thinking that how I've been dusting should be fine?

because his casque started to swell.
Ok when you say this.... What do you mean? It suddenly appeared overnight to be this swollen, it took weeks, it has been the last few months?

Like @ERKleRose said the fat pads in his cheeks and casque are full. This is a sign of obesity. Feeding this much at his age is what causes this. Fat in these areas is by no means hard. It is mushy and soft.

In your last post you were told that your compact UVB bulbs were incorrect and were given the link to the correct T5HO fixture for UVB lighting? Did you ever get this? If not this is why his casque more than likely is bending that way.
UVB has to be correct. The correct fixture with the correct distance to basking branch below it.

Last edited:
So much can be going on when animals are obese. It wreaks havoc on all of the organs, but due to being such an acceptable thing in society, we don't often realize it for the deadly medical condition it is, especially with reptiles.

Out of curiousity, I was reading that with people, hyperparathyroid(I'm no medical expert so maybe someone else can correct me if I'm off) is most common cause of high calcium, also if there's a cancerous growth in that region. Although it's much easier to overdose calcium supplements with reptiles, so it could plainly be that. You said you fed kale, IDK how much? Some say to avoid in large quantities for risk of thyroid issues in animals/people due to the goitrogens(interrupts iodine from my understanding).

Again though, the obesity needs to be addressed.

Ok when you say this.... What do you mean? It suddenly appeared overnight to be this swollen, it took weeks, it has been the last few months?

Like @ERKleRose said the fat pads in his cheeks and casque are full. This is a sign of obesity. Feeding this much at his age is what causes this. Fat in these areas is by no means hard. It is mushy and soft.

In your last post you were told that your compact UVB bulbs were incorrect and were given the link to the correct T5HO fixture for UVB lighting? Did you ever get this? If not this is why his casque more than likely is bending that way.
UVB has to be correct. The correct fixture with the correct distance to basking branch below it.
It has been gradual, over months that the edema has been happening in his casque and cheeks- I took him to the vet when it first started and he said there was no reason to be concerned but now it's very prominent. I did get the T5HO fixture for him and I had x-rays done on his casque and his bone density was no issue and his grip is strong.

So much can be going on when animals are obese. It wreaks havoc on all of the organs, but due to being such an acceptable thing in society, we don't often realize it for the deadly medical condition it is, especially with reptiles.

Out of curiousity, I was reading that with people, hyperparathyroid(I'm no medical expert so maybe someone else can correct me if I'm off) is most common cause of high calcium, also if there's a cancerous growth in that region. Although it's much easier to overdose calcium supplements with reptiles, so it could plainly be that. You said you fed kale, IDK how much? Some say to avoid in large quantities for risk of thyroid issues in animals/people due to the goitrogens(interrupts iodine from my understanding).

Again though, the obesity needs to be addressed.
Hello, I don't feed him much kale anymore because he doesn't take interest in it. He eats more sweet potato now, every week or two.

You want feeders to be lightly coated, not like powdered donuts.

What is the brand, strength, and distance to basking branch of your UVB bulb?

You want feeders to be lightly coated, not like powdered donuts.

What is the brand, strength, and distance to basking branch of your UVB bulb?
Okay, makes sense- I will dust them less when I feed. I have the Reptisun T5HO fixture and his basking branch is about 10 inches from the top.

Back
Top Bottom