Copyright Discussion

By the by, if they are not your pictures... why use them without permission? There are rules against copyright infringement on the forums. :\
EDIT: Seems as though there's an issue with the pictures loading; attached are the pictures (they are not mine!!)

Hes not using those photos in a commercial enterprise. (ie selling a pair using someone elses pics) So i doubt its copyright infringement.

He was also not knowingly taking credit for someone elses photos; he admitted they were not his.

Hes not using those photos in a commercial enterprise. (ie selling a pair using someone elses pics) So i doubt its copyright infringement.

Exactly, and poster even stated it was not his and where it originated. Why nit pick over nothing chameleon shot on chameleon forum.

Exactly, and poster even stated it was not his and where it originated. Why nit pick over nothing chameleon shot on chameleon forum.

Agreed. It's really not necessary to create arguments over nothing just for the sake of proving someone else wrong. That's the worst parts of forums...

He was also not knowingly taking credit for someone elses photos; he admitted they were not his.

Regardless of whether or not he said it was his, he is using the pictures without permission. There was a thread a while back where pictures were used without permission and they were taken down.

I HIGHLY suggest all of you read this thread:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/photo-copyrights-protect-your-images-47026/
Agreed. It's really not necessary to create arguments over nothing just for the sake of proving someone else wrong. That's the worst parts of forums...
I stated part of the rules and was told I was wrong, I'd like to know how I was wrong so I don't make the same mistake again. Is that bad?
neither have i Syn, and i've stated earlier in the thread that all i have heard from the very few HOBBIEST (not pet owners) who have had the privillage of attempting these species has turned out into a brutal fail.

i agree with every who says they need a vast amount of space, a whole "dessert" room to themselves.

Syn you are right about the fog, warmth and space. in even the hottest desserts, there is commonly always drastic temp drops. the cold from the night mixed with the warmth of morning gives the dessert animals in these harsh climates all the hydration they need. and as a previous post stated, lame bush! lol they do need foliage areas for shade, protection and sleep.

[...]i hope a greater understanding of these guys is found, but hope it is a long shot before they LEGALLY introduced to the trade. JMO
It's too unfortunate they are so hard to take care of, they are certainly an interesting species.

Although I'd like to see them in the trade, I think it would need far too much trial and error to find any way to keep them. IMO these are one of the species that should stay in the wild.

get over yourself sin your not doing anyone a favor. Its not illegal send it to the mods get it removed if it makes this place and you much happier. Really it was used with out permission. You dont have to ask to post pictures that I can find on google that arent claimed copyright. Especially when posted who and where it was from.

Oh and your links are dead. So no help and I think you need to freshen up on plagiarism yourself.

I stated part of the rules and was told I was wrong, I'd like to know how I was wrong so I don't make the same mistake again. Is that bad?

Did you read the part of the rules where it says; Chameleon Forums will not tolerate rudeness, personal attacks, derogatory insults, bigotry, defamatory comments or purposeless inflammatory behaviour? I did , and I also read the part about personal conflicts are not to be discussed on the posts, so I'm going to sit down and shut up and be a good boy:)

Actually, i don't believe the pictures posted here are breaking any copyright rules. In fact, he quoted from where the pictures were taken, he clearly stated that the pictures were NOT his, and in the scientific community this is something commun to use quotes and graphics from other books/authors when it comes to educational matters.

This example can also be used in a documentary movie. You can often see a documentary (i'm not talking about a movie with more explosions than story!!) that has Youtube videos or other news reports included in them, without necessary asking the permission to use the material. It can be done as long as the documentary is not made of 100% of other people's material! ;)

Another example; in my doctoral essay, i am using maybe what, a few hundred quotes from other authors without contacting a single one of them, even if their work is coprighted. The reason behind this possibility is to promote knowledge in the population. The key is to not take credit for other people's work (like money or fame), to say from where and who the material is taken, and to use that kind of material with parsimoniousness.

Therefore, in this case, i believe the original poster is clearly showing these pictures because they were difficult to see on their website, and to promote discussion on a subject that is rarely talked about.

There was a great documentary on copyrights made in the USA that i saw a few months ago who explained all these stricky rules. It was quite interesting nonetheless!! I wish i could remember the name! :S Of course, i am no lawyer, but this is what i remember from this documentary.

Exactly, as long as the poster does not take credit or profit from the images then it's not copyright infringement. You only need permission from the source if you're trying to recreate or use it as your own (like publishing an image in a book under your name). It's best to include the original source but at the very least do not claim to be the creator of the image. Otherwise it would be impossible to share anything, or quote any reference material and the dissimination of knowledge would be severely limited.

Not to be mean or anything, but I can see you standing there waiting for a response with your hands on your hips and all kinds of attitude! Not trying to stoke the fire here but maybe instead of accusing people in an argumentative fashion you could offer suggestions, or at least say things nicely. People are much more receptive to that than having to defend themselves from the start (as I think you're experiencing now). :)

I haven't been logged in lately because I've been busy out and about with a normal life. :rolleyes:

When the thread was split, I had edited my post to link to another thread. I think my post was reverted to my previous post prior to editing.

What should have been posted was: https://www.chameleonforums.com/photo-copyrights-protect-your-images-47026/

Morpheon said, "in my doctoral essay, i am using maybe what, a few hundred quotes from other authors without contacting a single one of them, even if their work is coprighted. The reason behind this possibility is to promote knowledge in the population."

I also bet you have a bibliography, correct? Whereas the other thread does not.
If you are going to post images that aren't yours, cite the sources.

ferret said, "People are much more receptive to that than having to defend themselves from the start (as I think you're experiencing now). :)"

Not quite, just having fun with friends and having other things to do. :D

Between my Film and English class I am taking currently this is a really big issue. I have been told by my teachers that using pictures without citing the source (or getting permission in many cases, if explicitly asked not to use without permission which CAN be in fine print, can cause issues) can/will cause issues, be it plagiarism or getting sued. :p

Jack said, "Really it was used with out permission. You dont have to ask to post pictures that I can find on google that arent claimed copyright. Especially when posted who and where it was from.

Oh and your links are dead. So no help and I think you need to freshen up on plagiarism yourself."

Jack, the links are dead because they were removed for violating copyrights and not asking for permission.. I'm not sure if you had read the whole thread. I will quote Chris Anderson from one thread about Google and copyrights.

From the second the shutter snaps and a photograph is taken, it is protected by copyright. You do not have to put a copyright logo, date, or name on the image for it to be protected by copyright. Unfortunately, too many people think that if it doesn't have such markings directly on the image, it is fair game, even though it is not.

Syn - You aren't taking an image off google. Google is a search engine, not a photo catalog. Click the photo and it takes you to the source.

Last edited:
First, as quoted above, all photographs are protected by copyrighted from the second the photo is taken. Whether the photo is labeled or not, whether the photographer explicitly states in any way that the photo is copyrighted or not, or whether the photo is officially registered with the US Copyright Office or not does not effect the fact that it is protected by copyright, only the extent to which the copyright holder can sue over copyright infringements.

The issue here is whether or not the images are being used within the confines of what is referred to as "fair use". Unfortunately the line between fair use and copyright infringement is not always clear. As a result, the US Copyright Office recommends obtaining permission from the copyright holder before reproducing any copyrighted material or refraining from the use of copyrighted material unless fair use clearly applies. In this case, since the photos were specifically stated to not be from the poster, a link was provided to the source, the reproduced photos were not used for commercial gain, and they were used for the purpose of criticism or comment, I would suspect this would fall under fair use, but only a court would be able to determine that. The polite/respectful and safe thing to do would have been simply to link to the images on the site they were already hosted on or have sought permission to reproduce them first.

For the purposes of forum rules, my recommendation to Brad would be to specify that the forum only allows the reproduction and posting of photographs on the forum when done so by or with the explicit written permission of the copyright holder. It could be specified that providing a link to a photograph already hosted elsewhere, and thus not involving chameleonforums.com in any potential copyright dispute, is not subject to this rule, however in such instances, the poster should explicitly indicate that the photos are not their own.

Chris

The US copyright code basically treats forums and blogs under the same rules as news outlets and reporters. As long as you don't claim ownership, do not profit, is used to inform or start intellectual discussion, and give credit to the proper owner (if you know who the proper owner is) there is NO copyright conflict. It is seen merely polite to ask for permission.

There is also a weird rule that kind of contradicts copyrights all together. If you "artistically" change an image the new image becomes you copyright. This is another case that it would be just polite to ask.

copyright storm in a teacup! No deliberate dishonesty apparent here. Who wants to be a policeman/woman when they grow up?:)

p.s. Providing a source refrence for images used in this manner is polite. :)

pps Hey Syn, Im Baaaaaaaack! :p

Back
Top Bottom