Cool DIY UV detection or Dangerous Ground?

Carpathian

So I recently picked up a new enclosure and the seller threw in a couple of uv detection cards that didn't work on a brand new light I had purchased. I assume they were old or worthless to begin with. I started looking for something to test the bulbs before I dropped money on items I may not need just yet. I found these and thought I could possibly string them nearby the basking zone and leave them there. These beads apparently will "color up" under the influence of UV and begin to go back to white when there is no longer a presence of UV light. My biggest concern is the safety of the chameleon but I'd like to get others thoughts on how risky this potentially is. If secured with cowhide string or some twine do you feel there is a large chance these could be ingested? If not then I will be ordering some soon and providing pics, who doesn't appreciate a thread with pics?

81W6j3cOUnL._SL1200_.jpg

I'll be the guinea pig. I just won't permanently attach them inside the cage. I'll just fill a small tray and test every so often. I will report any findings, good or bad. If any others follow suit don't order from "Made in USA shop" apparently they are diluting the beads with generic whites or not providing the amount listed.

I don't really like the idea of them beads and not because any impaction risks since you don't plan to leave them in the cage 24/7.

If you don't have a meter how will you know when the bulb is no longer putting out adiquate uvb? You don't want to wait to replace the bulb when it no longer puts ANY uvb out, you want to replace it when it drops below a certain percentage.

I've had bulbs that quit putting out adequate levels of uvb after 4 months and some that last a year. Those beads can't tell you how much uvb there is, just if uvb is present. You could have a bulb that is still putting uvb out and making those beads react but the amount of uvb isn't enough to stop your cham from getting MBD.

The beads seem like a gimmic to me. I would either invest in an actual UVB meter so you know exactly what level you have or stick to the general rule of thumb and replace the uvb every 6 months.

We replace the uvb bulbs when they stop putting out adequate levels that prevent MBD not when they stop putting out uvb all together. I'm sure those beads change color slower and slower and less and less bright each time they are reacting to light levels so I just don't trust them. Go ahead and get them but have a uvb meter too so you can play with the beads and test them out, just don't put all your trust in a gimic.

The beads change in the presence of UV light which means that can be UVA or UVB so they could be reacting to the wrong light wavelength but still giving you the impression that UVB light is present. A solarmeter is the way to go

So I recently picked up a new enclosure and the seller threw in a couple of uv detection cards that didn't work on a brand new light I had purchased. I assume they were old or worthless to begin with. I started looking for something to test the bulbs before I dropped money on items I may not need just yet. I found these and thought I could possibly string them nearby the basking zone and leave them there. These beads apparently will "color up" under the influence of UV and begin to go back to white when there is no longer a presence of UV light. My biggest concern is the safety of the chameleon but I'd like to get others thoughts on how risky this potentially is. If secured with cowhide string or some twine do you feel there is a large chance these could be ingested? If not then I will be ordering some soon and providing pics, who doesn't appreciate a thread with pics?

Not all UVB is created equal. Light is a spectrum, and only certain wave lengths within that UVB spectrum are of any benefit to the animal.

Back
Top Bottom